Position: Research Director
Location: Washington, DC or New York, New York
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Rapid Response Research and Communications Director
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government. Accountable.US seeks a Research Analyst to support its work to root out corruption and malfeasance. He or she will be responsible for leading the research department and, working alongside senior leadership, with crafting research strategy for specific projects and the organization as a whole.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. or New York City, though research projects may include travel on occasion. Some weekend work may be required. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are important.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage the day-to-day research activities for organization, supervising a team of researchers on a daily basis; oversee their training, workflow, and work product, and providing them with leadership, feedback, and guidance.
- Manage execution of public records research, including submission of Freedom of Information Act requests (and state open records requests), and review of responsive records.
- Work with senior leadership of organization to define and determine research objectives and priorities that support campaign goals and strategies.
- Develop and execute both short and long-term research plans to support those campaign goals and strategies.
- Work with Accountable.US leadership to integrate broader investigatory techniques to support research plans.
- Author and/or oversee preparation of detailed research reports/books and other products that have clear narrative arcs.
- Manage the rapid response research efforts of the organization, including identifying rapid response opportunities and crafting rapid response products.
- Oversee fact-checking of organizational work products.
- Serve as chief spokesperson for research for organization for partner organizations and other key stakeholders; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 5+ years experience managing research and crafting research strategy;
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role, particularly with overseeing staff and consultants;
- Ability and comfort with managing up;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Knowledge of transparency and government relations and background in issue advocacy preferred;
- Experience working with research systems and structures;
- Exceptional communicator;
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented and analytical; and
- Demonstrates an interest and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Research Director” in the subject line.