The Public Affairs Strategist will be responsible for building and maintaining a positive image for Wellnest. They will be in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with consumers, community members, employees, businesses, elected officials, external stakeholders and public interest groups to develop partnerships and long-term relationships that support Wellnest’s mission. The Public Affairs Strategist will work directly with executive team and department leaders, engaging with them on a regular basis to proactively identify communications and public engagement opportunities to develop strategies that support their department’s work.
- Develop and execute communications strategies to support Wellnest’s mission and vision.
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated, organization-wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of mental health and housing issues, and strengthen Wellnest’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create innovative and comprehensive communications plans that incorporate strategies to communicate program goals, services, initiatives, and projects.
- Develop a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Wellnest’s executive and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers.
- Maintain ongoing constructive two-way communication with elected officials at all levels within designated service areas. Monitor legislative and judicial activities relating to mental health and housing, organizing responses when appropriate.
- Provide leadership and actively participate in appropriate politically effective community partnerships with diverse religious, business, civic and social organizations to broaden support for issues of concern to Wellnest and identify future funding sources.
- Along with the VP of Advancement & External Affairs, lead and direct Wellnest’s media and public relations functions, including cultivation of relationships with writers, reporters, editors, and influencers; maintain media lists; develop stories and op-ed pitches; conduct media monitoring and track philanthropic and social change themes, etc. Serve as the lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization.
- Cultivate and maintain media contacts on a local, regional, and national level. Support media relations, including responding to reporters, crafting statements, drafting press releases on behalf of departments and monitor media sentiment.
- Plan all media and promotional appearances, including on-camera interviews. Prepare talking points and presentations, and other supporting materials, for interaction with externally facing audiences.
- Facilitate public outreach and engagement for public meetings and hearings.
- Facilitate organizational visibility through education/awareness campaigns and onsite press events.
- Place thought pieces in high-profile media for the leadership team, and develop content to position the organization as a leader in trauma informed mental health and housing services.
- Integrate strategic public relations perspective to support current and prospective clients, donors, and community leaders.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of Wellnest’s crisis communication plans.
- Assist staff in developing high quality digital content and setting measurable digital goals.
- Contribute to various organization-wide initiatives and projects.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, communications, English, business, or a related field from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of communications experience with a private or public federal, state, or local government agency/jurisdiction, managing high-profile projects and/or clients.
- Proven success in managing multiple projects at one time and project management experience of external consultants.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Must possess and maintain a valid CA driver’s license and insurable driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong commitment to advancing Wellnest’s mission and a demonstrated passion for mission-driven, meaningful work and familiarity with issues in the non-profit sector.
- Solid understanding and experience in managing communications strategic practices, concepts and dynamics.
- Superior writing and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to pay attention to detail.
- Adept at taking creative approaches to sourcing, identifying, and creating compelling earned local and national narratives that get covered by traditional and digital media.
- Exemplify superior organizational skills and an ability to articulate and execute clear strategies and tactics while having the flexibility to pivot when circumstances dictate.
- Superior communication skills with an ability to communicate ideas with enthusiasm and persuade diverse stakeholder audiences.
- Ability to conduct complex analysis and present data in a way that is easy to understand.
- Experience in managing integrated communications programs utilizing multiple channels, including traditional media outreach, digital and social media platforms.
- Strong creative, analytical and interpersonal skills with the ability to build and cultivate relationships to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
- Self-starter, with a proven ability to work independently and well under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and solve problems while exercising sound judgment and discretion.
- Customer service oriented with a strong desire to provide quality products and services to internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (i.e., MS Word, Excel, PPT, and Outlook). General ability to adapt to new technology systems and applications,
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Annual Salary Range: $70,000 to $85,000
- Wellnest offers a personalized benefits package built from a choice of available medical, dental, and vision coverage plans, as well as employer-paid life insurance.
- Accrual of up to 10 PTO days within their first year, 12 paid holidays, 1 Wellnest day (for self-care) and the week off between Christmas and New Year's Day (paid).
- Wellnest employees benefit from an employer-sponsored 401(k) company match of up to 3% and profit sharing contribution benefit up to 5%.
How To Apply
Please visit www.wellnestla.org and submit your application along with your resume. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.