Location: Dallas, TX
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit outside of the federal government while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Komen has set a Bold Goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50 percent in the U.S. by 2026. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $988 million in research and provided more than $2.2 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 60 countries worldwide.
The Project Specialist is a member of the Mission Operations team within Komen’s Mission division. The Mission Operations team supports the Mission division efforts to focus, evolve, energize, and lead to achieve the Bold Goal by seamlessly integrating the Mission division across Komen’s Enterprise.
The Project Specialist (Administration) will facilitate the administration of compliance reporting, legal contracts, budgets, and procurement across the Mission division and cross-functionally. This position has organizational-wide exposure.
The primary objective of the Project Specialist, Mission Operations is to support Susan G. Komen in achieving our overall Vision and Mission by:
- In a highly-matrixed environment, providing business administration support to the Mission Team in the business operations of multiple departments driving the research, community health, and public policy programs of the organization.
- Using advanced Excel capabilities, assisting Mission Leadership with development of annual budgets, monthly variance reports, quarterly forecasts, and production of payment requests and financial reports.
- Providing project management support to submit, track, and finalize legal agreements, ensuring completion and collaborative workflow.
- Using advanced PowerPoint and word processing skills to assist in the development of compliance reports including financial disclosures and filings, conflict of interest reports, lobbying compliance reports, audit reports routine correspondence and reports, policies, procedures, and grant agreement templates.
- Supporting Mission Leadership with preparing for meetings, conferences, and other events by making travel arrangements, coordinating catering, producing meeting materials, presentations, and handouts, processing invoices and expense reimbursement, and providing other administrative support.
Serves as project specialist for project development and implementation across all areas of enterprise as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Using advanced Excel capabilities and project management skills, assisting the Mission Leadership with development of annual budgets, monthly variance reports, quarterly forecasts, and production of financial reports.
- Maintains financial calendar and ensures mission leadership submits budgets and reports on time. Sends regular reminders and schedules meetings with team member as requested by leadership.
- Provides first line review of monthly variance reports, identifying significant budget variances for the attention of mission leadership. Ensures variances are explained and submitted to the CFO.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of accounting, project and activity codes to ensure accurate financial recording of expenses.
- Supports the production of annual budgets and justifications, maintaining cohesion across cost centers.
- Assists Mission Team with preparation of restricted grant budgets and financial reporting, ensuring that restricted expenditures are applied accurately according to policies and procedures governing the creation and management of restricted program budgets.
- Supports processing of invoices, development of annual financial analyses, and provides reports to donors as needed.
- Ensures compliance with Procurement Policy and Travel and Expense Policy.
Providing project management regarding contract executions; working with Mission Leadership to submit, track, and finalize legal agreements, ensuring completion and collaborative workflow.
- Maintains data within the legal tracking chart to document submission, review, and completion dates.
- Provides analysis on process roadblocks and escalates delays to Senior Manager.
- Coordinates with Mission Team and Komen Legal Department on an annual basis to draft and update grant agreement templates, required document templates, and Policies and Procedures.
Using advanced PowerPoint and word processing skills to assist in the development of compliance reports including Board reports, conflict of interest reports, lobbying compliance reports, audit reports, routine correspondence and reports, policies, procedures, and grant agreement templates.
- Works with Mission Team to develop production schedule calendar for compliance reports and other department-wide documents to ensure content is approved and submitted in a timely manner.
- Prepares complex documents with information, graphics, photos, and other simple design elements; collaborates with creative team in marketing department to produce annual reports and other published materials as needed.
- Works with leadership team to ensure timely distribution to stakeholders.
- Updates and maintains the Mission Operations Guide.
Supporting Mission Leadership with preparing for meetings, conferences, and other events by preparing travel arrangements, coordinating catering, producing meeting materials, presentations, and handouts, processing invoices and expense reimbursement, and providing other administrative support.
- Submits travel authorization forms on behalf of mission leadership, researches options for flights and hotels and books accordingly.
- Prepares travel and other meeting documents, reports and presentations using advanced PowerPoint and word processing skills.
- Processes invoices, travel expense reimbursements, and other provides other administrative support to mission leadership and meeting guests.
- Supports the meetings department in organizing catering, A/V needs, group meals and/or transportation.
- Provides administrative and logistical support for other department meetings, projects, and programs.
All other duties as assigned.
- Updates and maintains the Mission Operations Guide.
- Develops and delivers training to new and current staff though multiple mediums as required.
- Schedules operations team meetings and calls; coordinates and disseminates agenda and reviews minutes; assigns and tracks action items
Minimum Experience Required
Educational and Experience Requirements
- Associate’s degree required in business administration or related field of study with 5+ years of experience in program administration and project management.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in business administration or related field of study with 1-2 years of experience.
- Knowledge of good accounting principles and contract management, ability to evaluate questions from peers and escalate to the appropriate personnel
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Self-starter willing and able to take responsibility and ownership for producing timely and high-quality work with limited supervision.
- Capable and comfortable managing shifting priorities in a rapidly changing and environment.
- Highly innovative and organized.
- Ability to think quickly, critically, and strategically.
- Shows positive approach to work, flexibility, cultural awareness, sensitivity to relationships, security, and confidentiality.
Specialized Knowledge Requirements
- Microsoft Office Suite, Advanced PowerPoint and Excel Skills, Grants Management Systems, PeopleSoft, Microsoft SharePoint, Salesforce, Go To Meeting and Go To Training