In 2018, a philanthropic partner bequeathed a Fund for Tides to direct towards meaningful social impact. Since then, Tides used some of the Fund’s resources to develop the Caribbean Rise Initiative (C-Rise). This program functions as a multifaceted entity for partners interested in furthering economic development, climate and disaster resilience and LGBTQ+ issues in the Caribbean and its diaspora.
The primary goal of C-Rise is to conduct strategic grantmaking to local NGO/nonprofits in the region. C-Rise also partners with other funders to raise resources to increase capacity building, knowledge-sharing, infrastructure-strengthening, and leadership/community development among the 37 Caribbean nations and territories. The Project Manager will support this initiative’s grantmaking and fundraising potential. The Tides & C-Rise partnership will serve as a pilot to realize a collective vision, mission and approach towards supporting resource needs in the Caribbean and its diaspora.
The Project Manager will serve as primary contact for a small and growing portfolio of Tides’ philanthropic and/or social venture partners and prospects. The Project Manager will manage various projects, campaigns, and focus on relationship management with both internal and external stakeholders. The Project manager will work to support the needs of grantees, funders, clients, NGOs/nonprofits, regional subject-matter-experts and Tides’ service teams.
The Project Manager provides exceptional service and support to ensure that Fund, Social Venture and other partners’ objectives are met, consistent with Tides’ mission, and comply with Tides’ policies and procedures. Reporting to the Deputy Director, Client Services, the Project Manager is an exempt position. This is a grant funded position through May 31, 2021. Position extension is based upon additional funding for the initiative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (50%)
● Manage operations and growth potential of several projects under C-Rise, ranging from an ongoing campaign to raise funds from Caribbean travelers for LGBTQ+ issues in the region to a one-time special gathering of two-dozen Caribbean NGOs and Funders to design the first phase of a knowledge sharing platform for the region, plus the ongoing subsequent phases.
● Develop and monitor concrete, project management plans including identifying goals, budget, timeline and appropriately allocating team resources and skills.
● Collaborate with various teams and meet to develop project plans and present them to the Senior Advisor for approval.
● Facilitate periodic grantmaking, proposal writing, RFP development and manage contractors
● Provide administrative and operational support on Tides programmatic initiatives and working groups as assigned including data integrity and maintaining client and program information across databases.
RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT (40%)
● Serve as the primary contact to a select, assigned portfolio of Tides Social Ventures and Tides Foundation Philanthropic partners as part of a cross-functional team to support partners’ operational and administrative needs.
● Coordinate and align with the respective Independent Advisory Committees, Advisory Boards, Proposal Review Teams and other advisors and partners to C-Rise.
● Assist service team on managing select complex client relationships as assigned by Senior Advisor
○ Provide accurate and timely financial statements to inform client’s grantmaking and investment activities.
○ As directed, support development and execution of client related contracts, service agreements, Memorandums of
Understanding (MOU), and similar documents in close coordination with internal Tides teams.
○ Assist with the entire grants cycle including processing and review of grants, communication with clients and grantees, and data entry into the grants management system.
● Attend conferences, meetings, and industry events.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (10%)
● Establish rapport and arrange meetings with potential clients including researching organizations and individuals to proactively source new opportunities.
● Organize, manage and develop contacts, accounts, leads and opportunities for prospective SMEs, grantees, partners, contractors, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Strong personal alignment with Tides’ VMA and organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability and creativity.
● Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment.
● Strong work ethic, self-motivation, team spirit, enthusiastic and ambitious
● Demonstrated sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints, different communication styles, and a wide range of diverse colleagues and client partners.
● Ability to hold self-accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective client service.
● Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build rapport with partners and stakeholders within and across organizations, especially with the goal of strengthening collaboration.
● Ability to work in a team environment with a variety of stakeholders and perspectives
● Ability to be a self-starter, self-disciplined and meet established goals
● Experience with Salesforce, Docusign, Netsuite or other similar software applications
● Ability to use Google apps and/or Microsoft Office suite.
● Strong knowledge of and experience working on initiatives focused in the Caribbean and diaspora gained from working, living, studying within the region.
● 2-5 years of relevant and applicable work experience in nonprofit management, client-focused consulting or business administration and/or philanthropy
● Experience with client portfolio management
● Demonstrated experience in project management, including planning and managing projects both independently and with colleagues.
● Experience using consultative sales and business development approaches to match needs of prospective partners to the goals of the Caribbean initiative
● Familiarity with grantmaking protocols including fund development and relationship management.
Education and Experience
● B.A./B.S. in a related area. Relevant work experience may be substituted for a college degree.
● 3+ years’ experience performing related operational and project management duties in a similar role.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application