The Programs & Partnerships Assistant is an important member of the Programs & Partnership team, supporting the delivery of programs that provide professional development, financial support, and community for writers at all stages of their careers.
The Assistant works closely with the Director of Programs & Partnerships, the Assistant Director of Programs & Partnerships, and the Director of Readings & Workshops (West) to support, implement, and promote Mapping the Maze, Get the Word Out, Readings & Workshops, the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award, and other initiatives that may be developed. In addition, the Assistant coordinates an initiative to provide free subscriptions to Poets & Writers Magazine to high school students and their teachers.
The Assistant will be familiar with the nonprofit literary field, have a passion for contemporary writing, and share Poets & Writers’ commitment to antiracism. In addition, the Assistant will have excellent administrative, communications, computer, and database skills.
The Programs & Partnerships Assistant is a full-time, entry level position in our New York City office with opportunity for advancement. Reports to the Director of Programs & Partnerships and is eligible for all benefits offered to full-time employees. Note that we are currently working in the office several days per week and at home other days.
Mapping the Maze and Get the Word Out
Assist the Director of Programs & Partnerships with the development and implementation of Mapping the Maze and Get the Word. This may include:
- Coordinate with marketing staff on outreach and promotion via email, social media, e-newsletters, and other channels.
- Log applications/registrations.
- Communicate with applicants/registrants and participants.
- Communicate with panelists and presenters.
- Provide technical support during Zoom workshops and events.
- Provide on-site support and coordination during in-person events.
- Collect and tabulate participant surveys and/or other evaluation data.
- Provide other administrative and logistical support, as needed.
Readings & Workshops (R&W)
Support the Assistant Director of Programs & Partnerships and the Director of Readings & Workshops (West) in program administration, including:
- Manage the program’s online grants management system.
- Process funding applications in a timely manner and ensure clear, timely communication with applicants.
- Review and organize materials for weekly grant meetings; participate in the evaluation of applications for funding.
- Provide technical assistance to literary presenters and writers via phone, e-mail, and live or virtual meetings.
- Assist with tracking grant spending and generating reports for accounting and development departments.
- As time permits, assist with outreach to underfunded counties, with special focus on events serving BIPOC communities.
- Assist Director of Readings & Workshops (West) with editing and formatting the quarterly Readings & Workshops e-newsletter.
- Assist with informational meetings and Town Halls, virtual or live.
High School Subscription Program
Under the guidance of the Director of Programs & Partnerships, coordinate an initiative to provide free subscriptions to Poets & Writers Magazine to high school students and teachers, including:
- Conduct outreach and promotion to potential partners.
- Collect subscription recipients’ data and ensure subscriptions are fulfilled.
- Maintain the initiative’s webpage.
- Help to maintain Programs & Partnerships pages on org.
- Take part in weekly meetings of the Programs & Partnerships group and work collaboratively with all team members to enhance P&W’s programs for
- Provide administrative and logistical support as
- Familiarity with the nonprofit literary field and knowledge of contemporary literature.
- Experience working with diverse writers and community groups a plus.
- Familiarity with database management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with an online grants management system.
- Experience managing and supporting virtual programming.
- Marketing experience and ease, familiarity with social media marketing.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Upholds P&W’s values—service, integrity, inclusivity, and excellence—and shares our commitment to antiracism.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: $40,000
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance, Long-term Disability
- 403(b) Pension Plan
- Three weeks paid vacation (increases to four weeks with tenure); four personal days; ten paid holidays; up to ten sick days
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive staff. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including veterans and those with disabilities.
ABOUT POETS & WRITERS
Poets & Writers is the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers in the United States. Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
Poets & Writers Magazine is the leading publication of its kind, serving a readership of more than 100,000. Our website offers extensive free resources to help writers navigate the literary marketplace and a lively online community. Our programs include Readings & Workshops, which pays writers for giving readings and leading writing workshops in small towns and big cities across the country; Mapping the Maze, an online workshop that demystifies the publishing process and helps writers chart a path to publication; and Get the Word Out, a publicity incubator for debut authors. We sponsor the Jackson Poetry Prize and Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award. We are guided by our core values of service, inclusivity, integrity, and excellence and are committed to becoming an antiracist organization. Learn more at pw.org.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Thierry Kehou at email@example.com; include “Program Assistant” in subject line. Attachments should be .doc or .pdf; other file types will not be opened.