Position title: Program & Grants Associate
Position type: Part-time, Non-exempt
Reports to: Director of Programs
Location: San Francisco, CA
Submission deadline: April 15, 2019
Compensation: This position offers competitive compensation
Apply To: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Program and Grants Associate position.
Metta Fund is a private foundation dedicated to advancing the health and wellness of San Francisco’s older adult population and those furthest from access and opportunity. We partner with innovative nonprofits to prioritize areas where community needs are greatest, where our unique expertise can make the most difference, and where system change is needed to address health inequities—because everyone deserves to live a healthy life, at every age.
Since 1998, we have awarded over $81 million in grants to support local initiatives. We are honored to be in partnership with incredible organizations, leaders, and coalitions. For more information, please visit: www.mettafund.org.
This part-time, hybrid position combines Program Associate duties in support of the Director of Programs with responsibilities as a Grants Assistant supporting the Foundation’s grantmaking administration and maintenance of foundationConnect, the Foundation’s grantmaking database that runs on the Salesforce platform.
The objectives are to improve and deepen the Foundation’s programmatic work, capture, access and use grantmaking information, maintain exemplary relationships with Metta Fund grantees, applicants and partner organizations and ensure efficient and effective grantmaking processes and high-quality docket preparation for the Foundation’s board of directors.
The PGA shall report to the Director of Programs who shall be the primary supervisor. The Program and Grants Officer shall provide task direction as needed to support the Grants Assistant duties.
Program Associate Support
Provide direct programmatic support to ensure a smooth and responsive grantmaking process: provide quality customer service to grant partners and grantseekers; monitor and track grants against service targets / timelines; draft grant agreements; ensure the completeness and timeliness of grant applications and files; coordinate grant reports and payments; and help create, edit and assemble Board dockets.
Support the day-to-day work of the Program team: handle phone, mail and email communications; make updates to the database; schedule meetings and other appointments; make travel arrangements; process business expense reports; coordinate and set up meetings, convenings and other events; take notes or minutes at meetings; maintain files; draft correspondence; and carry out other clerical tasks as needed.
Research and strategy
Use web searches, attend in-person and online meetings to gather information about trends and needs in the field, policy developments, other foundations, and potential and current grantees. Support the program team in designing and implementing key strategies to strengthen the work of the foundation’s nonprofit partners.
Other related duties as assigned.
Provide back-up coverage for other administrative staff as needed.
Grantmaking administration and database management
Partner with the Program and Grants Officer to develop, maintain and improve the grantmaking database, including the online grantmaking portal.
Ensure accurate and timely reporting for the Foundation’s grantmaking programs including coding, data entry, detailed tracking of grant proposals, agreements, payments, reports and budgets; generate reports from databases; and collect and organize information for internal and external reports.
Responsible for Foundation grants management and compliance, including partnering with the Program staff and grantees throughout the grant life cycle.
Provide and update documentation for grantmaking processes and procedures.
Assist the Program and Grants Officer in creating standard and custom reports; and provide technical assistance to staff to run reports as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
- Two years administrative experience working in philanthropy or the nonprofit health and / or older adult sector
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Science degree
- Strong facility with a variety of applications in PC environment, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), project management software; knowledge of the Salesforce database, with Salesforce Administrator training highly desirable; web-search savvy; keyboard skills
- Strong written and oral communications
- Attention to and accuracy with detail
- Ability to assist in the graphic design of reports to visually present data in compelling formats
- Ability to set priorities and take initiative in management of day-to-day workload
- Ability to maintain a schedule and meet deadlines
- Good problem-solving and detective skills
- Capacity to work independently under general supervision
- Team player who effectively collaborates with others
- Comfort with financial statements and data
- Flexibility, and ability to adapt to changing organizational requirements
- High level of tolerance to ambiguity in a changing work environment
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject Program and Grants Associate position. Please no phone inquiries.