Organization: Coastal Quest on behalf of Seafood and Gender Equality (SAGE)
Position Type: Full-time, temporary
Location: Virtual, U.S. based
Coastal Quest is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working collaboratively with communities to build a more resilient coast by increasing inclusive, science-based planning, governance, financing, and project implementation for a just, prosperous, and sustainable future. Coastal Quest works around the world, from white water to blue water, on lakes and shorelines, and at the land-water connection. We provide project management, science and technical expertise, connect partners with financial and human resources, contract management, grant making, and facilitation of public-private partnerships. We are purposefully nimble, designed to solve multifaceted and complex coastal issues. We are here to achieve resilience goals, reduce threats, and implement solutions.
Seafood and Gender Equality (SAGE), a fiscally sponsored program of Coastal Quest, is seeking a Program Assistant to provide administrative assistance and support on a range of activities. SAGE is building gender equality and women’s empowerment in global seafood production and an equitable, diverse, and inclusive seafood industry. SAGE focuses on three strategies: education and awareness raising about the issues of inequality in the sector, building community and capacity, and gender mainstreaming or the integration of gender into all policies, tools, and activities deployed in the sector.
Reporting to the Director of SAGE, the Program Assistant will support a wide range of programming and will be highly organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and able to support multiple projects simultaneously. The ideal candidate is also interested in the nexus between gender and seafood production.
Operational and Administrative Support
- Assists team members in preparing and formatting documents, including PowerPoint presentations;
- Develops and maintains an efficient filing system for the team, including assistance in processing calls for proposals as required;
- Maintains and updates team’s databases and mailing lists using the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook;
- Coordinates the translation, proofreading and editing of documents as required;
- Organizes conference calls/videoconferences, often over different time zones, including the preparation and distribution of documents and providing the necessary technical devices;
- Takes minutes of meetings and synthesizes notes and decisions from meetings;
- Drafts basic written documents;
- Supports the production of high-quality reports and proposals;
- Works with team members to coordinate work activities, meet deadlines, and provide support where needed;
- Performs other related duties in accordance with instructions from team members;
- Coordinates communications and meetings with partners;
- Supports the coordination and implementation of key projects, e.g. a women’s networking group, The Conch podcast, and the Gender Equality Dialogues
- Maintains a database of relevant academic articles re. gender equality in global seafood production
- Conducts basic online research of potential experts and invited guests for key projects
- Provides logistical and travel support to team members and partners as needed
- This position requires infrequent domestic travel
Workshops and Events
- Provides logistical and technical support for workshops;
- Liaises with and assists team, consultants, and partners as required to ensure smooth functioning of events and activities;
- Acts as contact person for the participants of events and meetings; and
- Supports the acquisition of incentives
Direct supervision: the position does not require the direct supervision of any employee.
The ideal candidate has a strong interest in responsible seafood and gender equality, a positive self-starter attitude in performing the range of tasks described above, and some experience with office administration.
- Possession of a methodical, analytical, strategic, diligent, and creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to produce products in a timely fashion through collaborative processes with empathy and respect for diverse perspectives
- Ability to conduct research efficiently and effectively using online tools, as well as periodicals and other print resources
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A good working knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs, including Word, PowerPoint, SharePoint
- Capability to build and maintain professional, equity-centered, relationships with coworkers, stakeholders, and clients
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, continuous learning, and direct communication
- Strong, personal commitment to realizing the mission, and adhering to the values, of Coastal Quest and Seafood and Gender Equality (SAGE)
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and two years experience required
- A degree in gender studies, international affairs, communications, or natural resources, climate, or environmental science is preferred
- Experience working in the gender and environment sector is highly desirable
- Passion for sustainable seafood and ocean conservation, and/or experience in fisheries or seafood supply chains
- Multilingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated
Salary: $45,000-$55,000 depending on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Competitive package, including health, eye, dental, 401k, paid time off, holidays and sick leave
Additional: We provide a cell phone service stipend and cover the cost of computers for employees.
Location: SAGE is a virtual organization, so the location of this position is ‘home-based,ʼ meaning the Program Assistant will support their own work space
How To Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Assistant” in the subject line.