PRODUCTION EDITOR, Poets & Writers Magazine
Poets & Writers Magazine is an award-winning bimonthly magazine for the creative writing community. The leading journal of its kind, it enjoys a readership of 100,000 and a robust online presence. It is published by Poets & Writers, a nonprofit organization formed in 1970 to help creative writers and the literary community nationwide.
The production editor is responsible for coordinating editorial, art, and production; ensuring that each issue of the magazine is error-free, on time, and meets the highest standards of quality; and preparing select content for publication at pw.org. Essential qualifications include demonstrated skill using Adobe CS5, including InDesign and PhotoShop, as well as at least three years of experience in magazine production. The production editor reports to the editor in chief. This is a full-time position in our New York City office, requiring flexibility to work both at home and in the office. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
- Composing production schedule and overseeing the timely and accurate production of the magazine.
- Acting as liaison between editorial, advertising, design, production, and printing.
- Overseeing the work of freelance copyeditor and proofreader.
- Generating galleys in InDesign and routing them through editorial; arranging for excerpt permissions; arranging for artwork and permissions; assigning photo/art credits.
- Maintaining in-house style sheets.
- Coordinating the mapping of each issue with advertising, editorial, and design.
- Closing each issue in-house, overseeing corrections and ensuring that files are complete.
- Reviewing final galleys and proofs.
- Overseeing the printing of the magazine and acting as key point of contact with the printer.
- Reviewing bound book for quality control.
- Composing schedule and overseeing the editing and production of five annual Poets & Writers Guides; planning content updates with the editor in chief; coordinating with advertising to produce layouts; generating galleys and overseeing fact-checking; implementing final corrections; and linking and posting final PDFs.
- Reviewing invoices, creating author contracts and check requests, ensuring timely payment to freelancers.
- Preparing select magazine content, including writing descriptions of all articles, for each issue’s web close.
- Preparing print magazine files for all digital editions.
- Scrutinizing all permissions requests, tracking permissions, and coordinating royalty payments with the accounting department.
- At least three years of experience in magazine production.
- Must have very strong skills using Adobe CS5, including InDesign and PhotoShop.
- Familiarity with Mac platforms.
- Experience with mapping software and file delivery.
- Extensive knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style.
- Extremely focused attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask on deadline.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and interest in contemporary literature a plus.
- Upholds P&W’s values—service, integrity, inclusivity, and excellence—and shares our commitment to antiracism.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: $60,000
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance, Long-term Disability
- 403(b) Pension Plan
- Three weeks paid vacation (increases to four weeks with tenure); four personal days; ten paid holidays; up to ten sick days
Poets & Writers is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a building a diverse and inclusive staff. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including veterans and those with disabilities.
ABOUT POETS & WRITERS
Poets & Writers is the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers in the United States. Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
Poets & Writers Magazine is the leading publication of its kind, serving a readership of more than 100,000. Our website offers extensive free resources to help writers navigate the literary marketplace and a lively online community. Our programs include Readings & Workshops, which pays writers for giving readings and leading writing workshops in small towns and big cities across the country; Mapping the Maze, an online workshop that demystifies the publishing process and helps writers chart a path to publication; and Get the Word Out, a publicity incubator for debut authors. We sponsor the Jackson Poetry Prize and Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award. We are guided by our core values of service, inclusivity, integrity, and excellence and are committed to becoming an antiracist organization. Learn more at pw.org.
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Kevin Larimer at email@example.com; include “Production Editor” in subject line. Attachments should be .docx or .pdf; other file types will not be opened.