Tides Published: August 9, 2017
About the Organization:
Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social justice founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society's toughest problems.
Tides Client Services Department interacts directly with Tides Social Venture and Philanthropic partners (clients) to provide strategic, consultative, and collaborative services to drive high impact and leverage philanthropy to help scale promising social change organizations, ideas and movements. The Philanthropic Advisor will lead Tides ongoing engagement with a portfolio of existing and new philanthropic partners (donors, major donors, foundations, planned givers, etc.) to respond to, design, and scale clients’ strategic goals and to ultimately help bridge social justice and social innovation. Other responsibilities include building and maintaining relationships as a thought partner, connecting to others in the Tides network and proactively accelerating the impact of our partners. The Philanthropic Advisor will develop areas of subject matter expertise in resource development to ensure Tides Philanthropic partners are at the leading-edge of social change, justice and innovation in their chosen issue areas. This position can be located in San Francisco or New York City.
Essential Functions of the Job:
CLIENT AND STAKEHOLDER OUTREACH
- Actively partner with clients to help define and/or achieve desired philanthropic goals
- Build and hold client relationships with individual, foundation, and corporate donors
- Manage a portfolio of donor-advised and other philanthropic funds
- Provide strategic and thoughtful guidance in the development of grant recommendations, monitor cash flow and fund balances, and coordinate services across departments
- Facilitate enhanced services, such as RFP and board meeting management, as requested by clients
- Provide contract and grant management to mitigate risk and ensure funder compliance
- Deliver tailored support to complex clients by leading matrix service teams made of up department partners in finance and grants
- Participate in internal organization efforts to create tools/shared resources and streamline business processes and procedures
- Serve on cross-departmental working groups and committees
- Optimize Tides enterprise systems and Business Process Administrators to streamline administrative, transactional work
- Develop new business and steward referrals in collaboration with Strategic Partnerships team; onboard new clients
- Represent Tides externally and build networks across funders, organizations, and individuals
- Contribute to internal and external bodies of knowledge on innovative philanthropic models and social impact
- Develop specific philanthropic issue area expertise and actively engage and network with client and philanthropic ecosystems in this area
- Research, propose, and present Tides expertise on a regular basis at conferences, gatherings, professional associations and other external events to help lead Philanthropic partners and the Philanthropic field.
- Lead/co-lead key internal initiatives to advance Tides’ mission, vision and approach
- Contribute to a culture/community of learning, mentor and advise colleagues and team members
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- B.A./B.S., higher degree, or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years of relevant and applicable work experience with Foundations, resource development and/or donor-focused consulting
- Knowledge of the funder landscape in Tides’ core issue areas focusing on shared prosperity and social justice with an emphasis on equality & human rights, sustainable environment, quality education, and healthy individuals and communities
- A strong understanding of general donor-advised funds, donor support operations and Tides Vision, Mission and Approach
- Ability to understand clients’ needs and leverage that knowledge to improve service delivery, deepen relationships and identify new or expanding business opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple high profile and complex projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment.
- Have demonstrated a deep commitment to high quality client service and adaptability to evolving client needs
- Demonstrated success with establishing or expanding business in new markets
- Demonstrated success leading and working with cross-departmental teams
- Knowledge of impact investing and other investment vehicles highly desired
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Possess a strong work ethic, team motivation and sense of humor
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products and Salesforce, Fluxx and NetSuite, preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an "at-will" and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medial condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of the application.