OUTREACH SPECIALIST IIOUTREACH SPECIALIST II https://www.foundationlist.org/wp-content/themes/fildisi/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 PeopleLovingNashville https://www.foundationlist.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Copy-of-THANK-YOU-2-150x150.png
WHO WE ARE
People Loving Nashville (PLN) focuses on the healing power of community. We are a grassroots organization whose goal is to bring relief to those in need in the form of food, drink, clothing, and emergency supplies. Through our numerous and growing outreaches, we seek to form relationships and offer long-lasting support for the most vulnerable of our city.
PLN conducts outreach each day of the week through our various programs, such as:
- Monday Night Street Outreach: Our largest street outreach; we bring relief starting with food, clothing, and community. We provide a safe and positive community environment to the streets. Through this outreach, we work to build bridges to further resources for those in need through relationships.
- Tuesday Community Store: Each Tuesday our “store” is open to supply quality clothing, a food pantry, and a place for a concentrated connection to resources to those in need.
- Wednesday Camp Outreach: Once Covid began, we found there were numerous camps that were not close to any resources. We visit camps that may not have much connection to downtown programs or resources to bring relief by food and clothing and come to bring the connection to resources through relationships.
- Thursdays at Casa Blanca: At a micro-income apartment complex, where much of the community we know and love on the streets will transition to and from, we bring relief and connection to resources through a positive community.
- Friday Food Boxes: Through the delivery of food boxes to our friends who have transitioned into housing we come to bring a continued element of community and love.
PLN is also in the development of a housing first program set to launch in 2021. Through this program, we will take on individual clients to support in providing housing opportunities.
This position will be responsible for providing street outreach to individuals who are experiencing unsheltered homelessness. Outreach responsibilities include: canvassing mapped areas, engaging in basic conversation, assessing an individual’s needs, discussing available services including housing and disability assistance, providing informal 1:1 care, housing navigation, making referrals to other service providers or agencies, and engaging in other activities that may promote recovery or stability for the individual; offer assessment and recovery services for persons with co-occurring disorders of mental illness and substance use disorders. You will be working directly with our special partnership with Community Cares Fellowship where we will have direct access to housing for clients. As part of the PLN team, you will also support the ongoing weekly programming as needed.
The Outreach Specialist II role will report to the Outreach Manager. This position is a temporary grant-funded position through Community Cares Fellowship. This role is set to end on Oct 30, 2022.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Canvass mapped areas of downtown on foot consistently to locate and engage people experiencing unsheltered homelessness on the streets and in encampments
- Engage people experiencing unsheltered homelessness and establish rapport with individuals to reduce the risk of harm and to enhance safety (e.g. increasing access to cold-weather gear, crisis services, etc.)
- Ensure clients are given the support they are needed and track progress, making sure no client slips through the cracks
- Identify clients who will move into the rapid rehousing program with PLN partner, CCF
- Support people to achieve and maintain their personal goals transitioning into housing
- Linking people experiencing homelessness to additional services, as needed, such as healthcare, SNAP, SOAR services, etc.
- Promoting mental, physical, and spiritual health through connection to services and encouraging healthy choices
- Attend local community meetings regarding homeless services and advocacy
- Attend staff meetings and retreats
- Participate in weekly PLN programming, providing leadership and/or support where needed
- Perform other duties to support PLN, as assigned
- You have at least 1 year of experience in street outreach serving individuals experiencing mental illness, substance use, and/or homelessness.
- You have a bachelor's degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, or related field; or equivalent experience in the social services field.
- You have a desire to meet people where they are and a passion for service.
- You are an effective communicator, whether that’s in person, by email, or phone and you’re able to communicate easily with people from varying walks of life.
- You are patient and an attentive listener.
- You are flexible and adaptable to the needs of a grassroots organization and willing to jump in where needed.
- You are a team player.
- You have excellent time management skills and the ability to independently meet deadlines.
- You have a valid driver’s license and personal auto insurance
- You are willing to work outside conventional business hours, including nights (and weekends, as needed).
PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- You are bilingual (Spanish language)
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the job title in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as pdf files entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity.