The Bronx Cooperative Development Initiative (BCDI) is a community-led effort to build an equitable, sustainable, and democratic local economy that creates wealth and ownership for low-income people of color—what we call economic democracy. We are doing this by developing a network of diverse partners and community enterprises that currently includes four major projects:
- A Planning and Policy Lab, a center for economic democracy planning and policydevelopment—by, with, and for the Bronx.
- The BronXchange, a marketplace that connects Bronx institutions and nonprofits with local businesses in order to localize their purchasing and build community wealth.
- The Bronx Innovation Factory, a center for advanced manufacturing led by women and people of color, focused on shared wealth creation and innovations that matter for Bronx residents.
- An Economic Democracy Learning Center, a leadership development institute that prepares stakeholders of all types to lead this new future; cultivates a culture rooted in economic democracy principles; and advances the overall field of economic democracy based on experiences in the Bronx and inspirational examples from around the world.
All together, BCDI is a transformative model for urban economic development that can serve as an example for other communities across the US and the world. Read more about our work at bcdi.nyc.
Job Responsibilities: The Operations Manager will lead the operations team and collaborate with program staff and the Managing Director to proactively create systems, policies, and procedures for a highly functioning organization and translate strategic organizational development and operational goals into action. The Operations Manager will oversee fiscal management, personnel management, compliance, and administration for a growing organization. S/he will supervise the operations team at BCDI and will report directly to the Managing Director.
Financial Oversight and Compliance:
- Enforcing internal financial control policies and providing oversight of all accounting functions including supervising relevant accounting staff and independent contractors
- Financial reporting (generating and reviewing financial reports)
- Managing the yearly audit process
- Maintaining BCDI’s general ledger, budgetary systems, and chart of accounts
- Handling monthly reconciliations and assisting with month-end close
- Assisting with preparation of grant reports
- Updating and enforcing the BCDI’s fiscal policy handbook
Human Resources Management:
- Managing personnel/human resources in a way that ensures that BCDI is attracting and retaining the talent needed to execute on BCDI’s strategy in a sustainable way, including employee hiring, training, and development
- Managing payroll systems and procedures
- Updating and maintaining employee manual/handbook and performance review systems in accordance with BCDI values and operational needs
- Managing strong on- and off-boarding processes for BCDI employees
Budget Planning and Management:
- Leading budget planning and implementation, including working closely with program staff, the Development and Communications Manager, and the Managing Director to develop an annual program and organizational budgets
- Aligning fundraising strategy with the financial needs of the organization
- Tracking and making recommendations for budget modifications
- Providing guidance on a financial strategy to support informed decision-making and long-term thinking
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state, and city government, filing reports in accordance with legal requirements and advising on actions needed
- Developing and enforcing policies and procedures
- Driving operational strategy for new and existing programs, institutional expansion and operational affiliations, organizational development, and legal structuring/incorporation
- Supervising Office Manager and/or relevant staff on administration, procurement, office workflow, and other operational needs
Required Skills and Capacities:
- At least five years of non-profit management experience, specifically in finance, administration, operations, and/or human resources
- Proven leader and supervisor with excellent people skills and ability to collaborate with a diverse and dynamic staff team
- Systems-oriented thinker with excellent organizational and project management skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to social inclusion, anti-oppression, racial, sexual, and economic justice
- Strong research and communication skills
- Comfortable working with technology platforms for communications, planning and management – including accounting software (e.g. Quickbooks online), project management (e.g. Asana), online database systems (e.g. Airtable), and communications (e.g. Slack)
- Bachelor's degree (graduate degree preferred) or equivalent experience
- Experience living and working in the Bronx and NYC
- Fluent in Spanish
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
How To Apply
To apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
BCDI is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected categories.