Luminate is a global philanthropic organisation focused on empowering people and institutions to work together to build just and fair societies. We support innovative and courageous organisations and entrepreneurs around the world, and we advocate for the policies and actions that will drive change across four impact areas: Civic Empowerment, Data & Digital Rights, Financial Transparency, and Independent Media. We work with our partners to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to participate in and to shape the issues affecting their societies, and to make those in positions of power more responsive and accountable. Luminate was established in 2018 by Pierre and Pam Omidyar. The organisation was founded by The Omidyar Group.
WHAT IS THE ROLE
The Office Administrator/Executive Assistant will support all day-to-day operations of the Washington DC office, provide executive administrative support, and play an active role in the Global Support Team supporting the organisation’s global operational and administrative procedures.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
- Manage the daily experience at our DC office, including greeting visitors, distribution of mail and parcels and answering the telephone
- Serve as the hub of the DC based team; providing strong customer service to our internal teams, vendors, and external partners
- Monitoring kitchen and office supply levels; ensuring areas are organized and well maintained on a consistent basis
- Assist with coordinating internal and external staff events and business meetings within the office, including conference room set-up and breakdown, reserving and setting up meeting rooms, preparing and distributing agendas and other materials, managing any catering requirements, etc.
- Build a strong relationship with the landlord and vendors and be the primary point of communication for maintenance/repairs
- Other duties as assigned
- Manage communications, calendar scheduling and logistics
- Submission of monthly expenses through online reporting tool
- Coordinate domestic and international travel arrangements, including management of the meetings, hotels and ground transport during the trip, as well as securing visas and additional travel documents in advance of the trip.
- Proactively generate ideas for culture initiatives, social activities and community service opportunities for the DC Office
- Assist with planning locally hosted Luminate events
- Undertake other responsibilities as necessary and/or assigned
Luminate Support Team Activities
- Work in partnership with members of the Global Support Team across the organisation to support process improvements, provide a consistent office experience and enhance our shared cultural values.
- Research, develop, and deliver special projects (both assigned and self-identified) for the Global Support Team as well as the Program teams from time to time.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking a dynamic individual who is self-driven, has strong organisational skills and excellent attention to detail, and the ability to prioritise multiple tasks successfully. The ideal candidate will be able to react quickly to the changing demands of the job and use good judgement to make decisions.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential, as is the ability to work on your own but also collaboratively as part of a team spread across different geographic regions.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING
- Previous experience providing administrative support in a fast-paced environment; including calendar management, communications, expenses and travel
- Proven track record of managing complex and competing deadlines, and the ability to exercise good judgement prioritizing tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to create relationships and work collaboratively with staff at all levels to execute duties
- Strong interpersonal skills and consideration for team dynamics -- with the goals of supporting a positive work culture
- High comfort and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (preferably in a Mac environment); Expensify and Salesforce experience a plus
- Desire to take ownership of new projects and responsibilities as they arise
The following attributes are highly desirable but not essential:
- Experience working in organisations with international offices
- Bachelor’s degree
- In addition to English, verbal and written fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
How To Apply
HOW YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REVIEWED
Luminate is committed to the fair and equitable treatment for all of our staff- which starts with our recruitment process. Moreover, it’s important for us to find the very best people we possibly can for our team regardless of their background.
You will be asked to respond to some questions that are related to the day-to-day role. You will also be asked to submit your resume. However, to reduce potential unconscious bias we will focus on your answers to the questions rather than reviewing your resume. After the job announcement closes, your answers will go through our sift process: all answers will be anonymised, randomised and then evaluated by a panel of reviewers. If you are shortlisted, we’ll invite you to the next step, which includes meeting with members of the team.
To begin the application process, click here.
Closing date for applications is Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5pm EST