ABOUT CENTER FOR MEDIA JUSTICE
The Center for Media Justice (CMJ) is entering its 10th year with a bold commitment to creating media and cultural conditions that strengthen movements for racial justice, economic equity, and human rights. To accomplish this, CMJ employs an intersectional approach to democratizing culture and communications through powerful grassroots collaboration. Central to accomplishing our mission, work and “wins”, is the nurturing of our dedicated and passionate team through supporting organizational rigor, culture, and politics.
The Center for Media Justice (CMJ) is in an exciting period of growth and seeks a Managing Director to join our dedicated and passionate team. The Managing Director will be a mission-focused, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading a team, and developing a high-performance oriented culture among a diverse group of talented individuals. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will partner with the Executive Director and the Leadership Team to chart CMJ’s future growth and strategy and will lead our staff in fostering a culture of accountability and teamwork while ensuring all staff are supported to align their work to our strategic plan and priorities. In addition, the Managing Director will develop, implement, and refine the internal human resource policies and practices necessary to support our growth. This position supervises 1-2 department support staff (Events Manager and Executive Assistant).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Organizational Strategy and Development
- Partner with the Executive Director, key Board Members and Leadership Team to refine our strategic plan and implement the internal activities and processes to achieve its outcomes.
- Lead internal implementation and evaluation processes for organizational strategies and new ideas and ensure we have the system in place for accountability and measurement of progress against goals.
- Drive outcome and data measurement and support the Executive Director in reporting successes and challenges to the Board of Directors and funders.
- Guide the development of CMJ’s organizational staff committees and advisory boards.
- Lead internal programming in support of an organizational culture of collaboration, consensus and commitment grounded in a coherent political strategy.
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for staff, guiding, inspiring and challenging the team and formalizing the systems and tools needed to support them in achieving the organizational mission.
- Oversee the recruitment, orientation, employment and release of all CMJ paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure sound human resources practices, including clear job descriptions, and regular, effective supervision sessions and performance evaluations.
- Drive the adoption of standardized approaches to internal meeting agendas, project management, consensus building, change and conflict management.
- Cultivate and integrate our organizational values in order to attract, retain, motivate, recognize, and reward diverse, talented staff and volunteers.
- Partner with program staff and organizational leadership to identify, recruit and support additional staff and board members.
- Regularly participate in staff meetings and organizational retreats.
- Regularly complete timesheets, expense reports, and other administrative tasks.
- An undergraduate degree in business, nonprofit management, organizational development or similar field.
- At least 7 years of professional leadership experience in organizational management, nonprofit and/or development, including prior success in managing and driving strategy, leading cross-functional teams to high performance and scaling an organization or program.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, gender and class justice, knowledge of communication rights, and a passion for organizational and social change.
- Strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Thorough understanding of project management, human resources, remote workforces and strategic planning.
- Self-directed, entrepreneurial, and adaptive
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and project management skills.
- Familiarity with media justice organizations, networks, leaders and issues, preferred.
- Experience in a social enterprise setting, a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with experience. Center for Media Justice provides full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401(k), a substantial vacation package, and a quarterly personal wellness stipend. Position requires the ability to travel a minimum of five times annually; work nights and weekends as needed.
The Center for Media Justice is an equal opportunity employer and we value diverse perspectives and experiences at our organization. We are committed to ensuring that our organization is fully inclusive and engages with the intersectionality of the communities we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law. People of color and gender-diverse people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Envision Consulting was retained by Center for Media Justice to conduct the search for their incoming Managing Director.