Tides is a philanthropic partner and nonprofit accelerator dedicated to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Tides works at the nexus of funders, changemakers, and policy, with extensive impact solutions including philanthropic giving and grant making, impact investing, fiscal sponsorship for social ventures, collaborative workspaces, and policy initiatives. Our extensive tools and know-how give our partners the freedom to hit the ground running and drive change faster than they can on their own. For more information, please visit www.tides.org
The Legal Counsel is a member of a dynamic Legal, Risk and Compliance (LRC) Team that supports a diverse array of legal matters for Tides and its employees, partners, reputation, assets, as well as for Tides Advocacy, a 501(c)(4) affiliate of the Tides organizations. Under the supervision of the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will advise on legal matters and resolution of legal claims, provide legal support to our human resources team, including with respect to immigration law, workers compensation and employment law claims, and support and/or manage a number of other legal and compliance areas, including intellectual property, special events, insurance management, analysis of expanded charitable services, new partner vetting, internal investigations, contract review, charitable/business registrations and periodic staff training. The Legal Counsel must be able to think proactively and creatively, provide strategic and legal advice and consultation, work cross-departmentally, support and manage strategic initiatives, including in connection with staff and partner education, and be committed to supporting Tides’ charitable mission.
HumanResources / Litigation Support
· Work with outside counsel and Human Resources in the areas of immigration law, workers compensation and employment law claims, both at Tides Network and for our fiscally sponsored projects.
· Coordinate legal holds, responses to diligence requests, and represent Tides at legal proceedings, as necessary.
· Stay up to date regarding latest trends in employment law, and provide strategic advice to protect Tides’ charitable mission and its employees.
· In partnership with other department staff, including staff of fiscally sponsored projects, track risk and compliance inquiries/issues, recommend solutions, and escalate appropriate issues to others as needed.
· Track, research, and help structure and resolve any legal issues raised by new business development opportunities and partnerships.
· Investigate inquiries from within the organization on domestic and international matters, including taxes, employment, contracts, insurance, risk management, licensing, and organizational policy.
· Research and analyze specific legal questions and prepare memoranda setting forth research results as requested by the General Counsel.
· Assist in managing corporate compliance program associated with fiscally sponsored projects, including: fiduciary duties of advisory boards, conflicts of interest, charitable/business registrations, and insurance compliance.
· Investigate and evaluate the legal implications of compliance issues, and recommend operational changes or alternative policies and procedures.
· Issue spot to identify risks associated with programs and recommend substantive updates to enhance policies and procedures.
· Support other members of the LRC team with respect to policy roll-out and input, as needed.
· Contract Review and Management
· Support drafting, reviewing, and negotiating existing or proposed nonstandard contracts, and reviewing modifications to standard contracts as needed.
· Review and revise, as needed, Tides legal documents, such as grant agreements; consulting contracts; employment-related documents; software license and other information technology-related agreements; subscription agreements; template documents (Agreement for Services, Revenue Agreement, MOUs); legal policies and procedures; communications with governmental authorities; and operational and governance policies.
· Recommend substantive updates to process of contract review to enhance compliance and support efficiency of review.
Strategic Initiatives and Staff Training
· Actively assist the larger LRC Team in developing effective legal, risk and compliance education and training tools for staff, including by leading at least one all-staff training annually.
· In partnership with department staff, train staff on legal-topics relevant to the organization, including internal policies and procedures and compliance with laws that apply to Tides; assist in updating and creating new training sessions as needed and offer solutions to help staff achieve desired outcomes.
· Provide additional flexible support to other departments, as necessary.
· Continue individual continuing education to ensure that Tides remains compliant with respect to changing areas of the law.
· Support legal team education / management of resources.
· Other duties as assigned by General Counsel.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Commitment to advancing Tides’ mission
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Detail-oriented, with ability to understand and appreciate and integrate larger goals and objectives
· Flexible, with ability and commitment to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, effective results
· High-level and consistent work ethic
· Team player, with ability to collaborate cross-departmentally and with internal and external stakeholders
· Proficiency with Salesforce, Microsoft Office
Education and Experience
· Doctor and CA Law License required
· 2-3 years’ experience in the areas of general corporate, tax, and/or nonprofit law
· 2+ years’ experience in employment and/or labor law
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume should include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this role. No phone calls please.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable accommodation will also be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.