Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Employment Counsel is a member of a dynamic Legal, Risk and Compliance (LRC) Team that supports a diverse array of legal matters for Tides and its employees, partners, reputation, and assets. Under the supervision of the Director, Legal (Legal Director), Employment Counsel will focus on advising on employment practices and issues relating to employees of Tides Network and Tides Center’s 140+ fiscally sponsored projects, as well as supporting process development and continuous improvement objectives in the LRC department.
Legal Counsel must be able to think proactively and creatively, provide strategic and legal advice and consultation, work cross-departmentally, support and manage strategic initiatives, and be committed to supporting Tides’ charitable mission. Employment Counsel is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
What you will do:
- Guide and provide pragmatic advice on a wide range of employment issues for a dispersed work force, including hiring, compensation, benefits, wage and hour laws, workplace safety, leaves of absence, disability accommodations, People policies and procedures, performance management, investigations, terminations, and labor relations, leveraging and liaising with outside counsel where necessary
- Advise on and support implementation of employment policies and programs for Tides and its fiscally sponsored projects that reflect Tides values and advance mission
- Evaluate core People policies; guide and implement changes as needed
- Monitor changes and updates to local, state and federal law that impact employment policies and practices; advise senior leadership regarding developments applicable to Tides
- Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements, templates, and forms (e.g., employment, consulting, separation, handbook etc.)
- Support People and Benefits teams with management of emerging and escalated issues to evaluate risk and ensure issue management plan that incorporates compliance with applicable law and/or other operative documents
- Respond to subpoenas, liaise with insurance, and participate in investigations as needed
- Provide training, where applicable, to support knowledge sharing and effective compliance by staff and fiscally sponsored projects
- Collaborate with People Team to ensure effective and values-aligned management of union-related matters
- Support Retirement Committee in managing and carrying out fiduciary responsibilities related to oversight of Tides’ retirement plans.
- Liaise with outside counsel representing Tides on litigation strategy, settlement negotiations, and arbitrations
- Provide legal support for Tides’ Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion (JEDI) efforts
- Research and analyze issues, prepare memoranda, or other duties as requested by Legal Director or Chief Legal & Ethics Officer
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Holds self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Exhibits exceptional judgment
- Adapts easily to working with a variety of stakeholders and to the varying needs of the organization, while maintaining a strong voice for legal compliance
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that uphold the law while thinking creatively and collaboratively to support the communities that Tides serves
- Commitment to Tides’ Vision, Mission, and Approach
- Experience aligning employment law with mission-driven work is a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to understand and communicate accurately and effectively with different stakeholders in different fields of expertise
- Strong research, drafting, and negotiation skills
- Proficiency with Salesforce and Microsoft Office Suite
Education & Experience:
- Juris Doctor and Registered In-House Counsel or CA Law License required
- 5+ years of specialized experience in labor and employment law, including hands-on management of wrongful termination, discrimination, and harassment matters
- Demonstrated experience handling transactional and litigation matters for employers
- Some familiarity of laws relating to labor unions
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.