Tides Published: May 18, 2017
Tides is a foundation and nonprofit partner committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights; sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; and quality education. Tides’ services include charitable giving and grant-making (through donor-advised funds and other charitable vehicles), fiscal sponsorship of mission-aligned social ventures, and collaborative workspaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Leave of Absence & Workers’ Compensation Specialist is responsible for providing consultative HR services to a very diverse client group in the areas of leave of absence management, workers’ compensation case management including other general benefits and compliance Human Resources services. This role will support the Benefits Manager in leave of absence and worker’s compensation case management and other employee benefits projects, programs and rollouts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Leave of Absence and Workers’ Compensation:
- Manages and responds to incoming calls from employees and managers with responsibility for advising and answering questions related to LOA, FMLA, state mandated programs, and short/long term disability.
- Ensures effective and timely communication with employees and managers including written and oral communication inclusive of online/paperwork administration required for the FMLA/LOA processes.
- Educates employees and managers on leave eligibility, leave types, length of leaves, paperwork process, and returning to work after a leave of absence. Effective at balancing multiple leave cases daily, ensuring compliance with federal and state turnaround timing of documentation.
- Responsible for full administration of workers’ compensation program including filing claims, corresponding with insurance companies, employees, managers and gathering appropriate documentation
- Responsible for calculating pay for employees with use of sick and or vacation time in coordination of other benefits and communicating these payments to payroll for processing
- Manage with employees coordinated use of sick and or vacation time with state or other income replacement programs
- Responsible for the efficient management of all Leave of Absences including workers compensation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- FMLA/CFRA/PFL/SDI/STD/LTD administration knowledge and expertise
- Understanding of Federal and state leave law requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize multiple LOA/Workers’ Compensation cases, assignments; function from broad sets of work instructions; ability to analyze data and situations effectively and is detail oriented.
- Ability to calculate and figure out portions of pay, and appropriate use of sick time and vacation time using percentages based on employee salary
- Ability to perform other basic mathematical calculations
- Ability to clearly communication portions of pay to employee and to Payroll department
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, a strong focus on top notch customer service, as well as demonstrates good decision making and judgment.
- Benefits billing experience and general benefits knowledge is a strong plus
- Detail-oriented skills, organizational skills and time-management skills
- Capable of handling multiple priorities.
- Exercise excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other sensitive matters.
- Self-starter, integrity, passionate, high energy, people skills
- Maintains high-level and consistent work ethic.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years of experience in full cycle LOA administration with minimum supervision
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now or other HCM system
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
How To Apply
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume MUST INCLUDE A COVER LETTER EXPRESSING YOUR INTEREST IN WORKING TO SUPPORT TIDES AND WHY YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB. No phone calls please!