About Advance NYC
Advance NYC is a leading consulting firm dedicated to meeting the flexible, on-demand needs of non-profits. From transformative campaigns to strategic plans and annual fundraising activities, our team collaborates with clients to create and execute customized strategies that increase organizational stability and capacity. Advance NYC has had the privilege of working with a wide range of leading arts and cultural, education, economic development, public green space, and social service organizations including: the American Museum of Natural History, Brooklyn Children's Museum, Friends of Governors Island, Mass MoCA, the National Alliance on Mental Illness NYC Metro, Prospect Park Alliance, the Public Theater, Sanitation Foundation, Urban Bush Women, and Weeksville Heritage Center, among others. Additional information on our work and clients can be found on our website at advancenyc.com.
Advance NYC continuously works to incorporate and foster a diversity of perspectives and experiences on our team. We are deeply committed both to creating a welcoming and inclusive work environment for employees of all races, ethnicities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socioeconomic backgrounds, and abilities; and to ensuring that our team reflects the landscape of our clients and communities we serve.
Advance NYC is committed to supporting the wellbeing of our employees: we endeavor to pay them fairly, provide professional development opportunities, promote from within, and foster a supportive workplace that allows everyone to place our full trust in each other and do our best work. The employee workload is structured to be accomplished within a 40-hour work week, and while the occasional long day or week happens, we strive for it to be an exception and not the norm. We respect each team member’s life outside of the office and set expectations both internally and with our clients to ensure established working hours are observed. We encourage our employees to take vacation, and we build our teams so that everyone has the necessary back-up to take time off.
Advance NYC prioritizes the professional development of our employees and fosters a community of learning and growth, with the aim of promoting from within whenever possible. To achieve this, regular check-ins are scheduled between employees and Advance NYC leadership to identify each employee's professional goals and collaboratively determine areas of growth. From there, we provide opportunities that directly align with these goals and offer supportive feedback to steer ongoing professional development.
Advance NYC is currently seeking a full-time Institutional Project Associate.
This is an exciting opportunity for a passionate, motivated professional who is interested in advancing their career in nonprofit fundraising, especially those with experience and interest in institutional (foundation, government, corporate) giving. We appreciate the value of myriad life and work experiences; we recognize that many paths might adequately prepare someone for this role, and we encourage anyone who believes they would be a good fit to apply.
The Institutional Project Associate works closely with Advance NYC’s Institutional Team to provide fundraising capacity and administrative support for our non-profit clients. The Institutional Project Associate will provide support to 1-2 Project Managers for a portfolio of approximately 4-8 clients at a time. Day-to-day responsibilities will include: managing client grant calendars ; helping draft grant proposals and reports and related materials; preparing for and participating in regular client check-ins; and liaising between clients and the internal team to ensure the smooth submission of grant applications. The successful candidate will be highly detail-oriented, computer savvy, able to manage multiple projects at one time, and able to work both collaboratively with the team and autonomously at times.
This is a partially remote position: while Advance NYC operates in a virtual office, this position requires in-person attendance as needed for select client meetings, internal meetings, and other related tasks in the NYC metro area. All in-person interaction is carefully evaluated by participating parties, and a dynamic COVID policy is in place to address appropriate safety precautions. Advance NYC’s office hours are generally 10AM - 6PM EST Monday-Friday with the occasional night or weekend, but we are open to exploring a more flexible schedule for the right candidate.
The responsibilities of this role include:
- Tracking all grant and reporting deadlines and requirements for clients, including, for some clients, maintaining this information in Advance NYC’s proprietary internal grants management database
- Supporting the drafting of institutional giving materials, including grant proposals, reports, and funder communications
- Maintaining electronic files for the Institutional Team, including clients’ boilerplate language, grant attachments, and historic grant documents
- Managing all grant administration information for clients, including portal logins and point of contact information
- Taking part in client calls, Zoom meetings, and the occasional in-person meeting (as necessary), assisting in scheduling, drafting agendas, sending action items, and communicating with clients
- Providing administrative support, including task management for Project Managers on the Institutional Team
- Other duties as needed
A successful candidate will have some combination of the below experience and skills:
- Direct non-profit experience in a role/roles involving administrative and fundraising responsibilities
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally—both verbally and in writing—as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Experience composing compelling formal fundraising communications (funder correspondence, narrative drafts, acknowledgements, etc.)
- Ability to efficiently manage several projects simultaneously while prioritizing and planning work activities to meet respective deadlines; strong organizational and time-management skills are key
- Natural inclination to be proactive in task management and problem solving. The Institutional Project Associate will take ownership of projects and move them forward, while also exercising the flexibility necessary to collaborate effectively with team members and clients
- Experience working in CRM databases such as Raiser's Edge, Salesforce, Patron Manager, and Ovationtix
- Experience working with operational budgets, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint/Google Slides presentations
- A growth mindset and a habit of curiosity
Essential for performing this role:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Ability to work remotely, which includes access to a phone, computer, and reliable internet
- Ability to travel to client meetings in the NYC metro area
The salary range for this full-time (40 hour) position is $55,000 - $65,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Advance NYC provides generous contributions toward health and dental insurance, paid vacation time and sick time, paid holidays, 401k programs, a stipend for home office equipment, and competitive parental and family leave. All team members are eligible for remote and flex time, to be determined on a case-by-case basis.
How To Apply
Please email your resume and a 1-page cover letter telling us more about yourself and why you are interested in the position to email@example.com. We will accept applications until March 28, conduct interviews mid April, and ideally look to fill the position for an early May start.