American Humane seeks a detail-oriented, organized and pro-active individual with a high level of professionalism, integrity, sound judgment and strong communication skills to work across teams as the Human Resources & Legal Coordinator. This position is based at American Humane's national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the Human Resources Generalist.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Human Resources (HR) & Legal Coordinator supports the Human Resources and Legal departments in order to maintain an engaged, competent and diverse workforce through administering benefits and coordinating procedures and records for staff, as well as maintaining corporate records and filings and compliance notices and reporting.
Human Resources (80%):
- Administers health and welfare plans including enrollments, changes and terminations. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
- Performs customer service functions by answering employee requests and questions.
- Coordinates annual organizational policy signing process.
- Assists with recruitment, interview process, and maintenance of applicant tracking system.
- Submits new hire background checks.
- Prepares new employee files, orientation materials and workspace.
- Assists in processing terminations.
- Processes mail, invoices and employment verification requests.
- Updates, maintains and distributes the employee telephone directory.
- Ensures HR files are accurately maintained; enters and manages information in the HRIS as well as electronic files in the shared drive.
- Works to prepare HR files for annual audit.
- Processes HR paperwork, including new hire, termination and payroll action forms.
- Assists HR Generalist in maintaining the compliance calendar, preparing reporting documents and making reporting submissions to meet deadlines.
- Assists in preparation of special events such as holiday events and other office or company gatherings.
- Supports in other areas and special projects as needed.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Legal department.
- Assists Staff Counsel in maintaining contract records and electronic files.
- Assists Staff Counsel with preparation of materials for Board meetings.
- Assists Staff Counsel to file corporate registrations, licenses, and other filings as directed by the General Counsel.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, degree in human resources or related field preferred.
- 1-3 years of Human Resource experience preferred.
- 1-3 years of previous experience utilizing a HRIS; Kronos payroll/HRIS experience a plus.
- Experience working with an applicant tracking system preferred.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Working knowledge of state and federal regulations that affect HR.
- Strong customer relations and interpersonal skills; adept at building relationships and communicating with all levels of staff.
- High degree of emotional maturity and professionalism; ability to handle difficult situations diplomatically and confidential information with discretion.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative and also work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to take a proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capacity.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based in Washington, DC.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply.
How To Apply
To apply, please click here to submit resume and cover letter