Centro San Antonio is a nonprofit placemaking organization which manages the downtown public improvement district (PID). Centro’s purpose is to create a more beautiful, playful, welcoming, and prosperous downtown in the spirit of San Antonio. Our guiding principles are to think big, have fun, get the right stuff done, and be good to others. We place-make through physical improvements, clean and safe services, homeless outreach, programming, storytelling, and community development. Learn more at centrosanantonio.org.
HOMELESS OUTREACH SPECIALIST JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
We are looking for a highly disciplined candidate who shows courage and empathy to serve; a thoughtful communicator and problem-solver, committed to strengthening our community.
Under general direction, the Homeless Outreach Specialist will provide service navigation and case management to unsheltered people experiencing homelessness in the downtown area. The Outreach Specialist will employ trauma-informed and client-centered techniques to build relationships and trust with clients, helping them to overcome the barriers that have led them to homelessness.
This position will report to the Homeless Outreach Clinical Coordinator and will work closely with City of San Antonio Department of Human Services, SAPD, and community partners. The Outreach Specialist will participate in coordinated downtown area outreach efforts.
This position is “grant funded” and is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
EDUCATION AND JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Highschool diploma or equivalent
- 3+ years in a customer service focused environment. Experience with homeless low income, a strong plus
- Strong verbal and written language skills in English. Spanish proficiency is a plus
- This position requires a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License OR valid driver's license from another state with the ability to obtain a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License within 30 days of becoming a Texas resident. Use of your own personal vehicle may at time be required and proof of Liability Insurance will be required.
- Must be available and willing to work nights, weekends and holidays as required to meet business needs
- Must have the physical capacity to walk or traverse continuously during an eight-hour shift, with normal breaks (two fifteen minutes, and one thirty-minute meal break)
- Must be able to work outdoors in all conditions with company-provided inclement weather gear
- 90- 95% of work will be performed outside of an office environment and the remaining 5-10% of work will be performed in an office environment at the Centro Operations Headquarters
- Client interaction will take place primarily on city streets downtown, at the City’s Homeless Resource Hubs, and occasionally at neighboring encampments
- Fast-paced environment
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Two years of experience with street outreach and working with the homeless population
- Applicants selected for this position must receive satisfactory results from pre-employment drug testing and background checks. If required for the position, a motor vehicle record evaluation, and additional background checks may be conducted
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively via oral or written means
- Ability to present a friendly and positive demeanor to clients, their families, City staff, supportive services personnel, funders, and the general public
- Ability to make oral presentations to large and small groups
- Ability to remain calm and maintain self-control in the midst of difficult circumstances and emergencies
- Ability to respond in a professional manner in all situations
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel; PowerPoint and HMIS a plus
- Knowledge of community resources; Federal, State and local assistance programs, housing & utility assistance and disability benefits
- Knowledge of cultural differences and implications of culture for service delivery
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations
- Ability to maintain good relationships with stakeholders focusing on providing excellent customer services and presenting a positive image of Centro San Antonio in all community and stakeholder interactions
- Ability to perform all the physical, intellectual, and analytical requirements of the position including decision making
- Knowledge of downtown San Antonio ecosystem a plus
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs
How To Apply
Please submit resumes to Jlucio@downtownsa.org