Clean Water Action is a non-profit environmental political advocacy group founded during the passage of the landmark Clean Water Act in 1972. Currently we are working on the state level in RI and MA on a ban on PFAS (the Teflon chemical) in food packaging. The chemical is linked to kidney and testicular cancer, liver malfunction, birth defects, and many other negative health impacts.
On the national level in Congress we are working on funding to replace lead service lines. There are an estimated 9 million lead service lines across the country which contribute to up to 20% of all lead exposure. Replacement of lead lines can cost between $3,000-$7,000. We are urging congress to include funding in the bipartisan infrastructure bill to help homeowners with costs of replacing lead service lines.
Our mission is to protect our environment, health, economic well-being and community quality of life. Clean Water Action organizes strong grassroots groups and coalitions, and campaigns to elect environmental candidates and to solve environmental and community problems.
Some of the Issues we work on:
- Environmental Justice
- Climate Change
- Renewable Energy
- Water as a Public Trust
- Toxics in Everyday Products
- Lead in Drinking Water
- Restoring Democracy
- Oil and Gas pollution
Responsibilities of a CWA Field Canvasser:
- Promote action on progressive issues to influence national, state, and local decision makers.
- Communicate with and educate people about important issues that matter to them.
- Recruit new and existing members and motivate them to take action on a specific campaign.
- Raise funds to support our research, lobbying and educational campaigns.
- Participate in daily briefings to learn more about the issues and strengthen your skills.
- Must be located in the Providence Area.
- Must commit to a minimum of 3 months. Shifts are from 2pm-9pm, Monday through Friday. Must be available 3 shifts/week minimum.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Must be committed to the cause of diversity, equity, justice and inclusion.
- Desire for non-profit career development is a plus!
- Experience with canvassing, political organizing and successful negotiations are a big plus!
- Bilingual, POC, LGBTIQ and other underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
What's in it for you?
- Starting rate of $14/hr+ bonus.
- Gain valuable experience in the non-profit sector.
- Relaxed, fun and casual workplace culture.
- Get to know your local neighborhoods
- Paid Training.
- Flexible Scheduling.
- Paid Sick Leave
How To Apply
Interested parties, please send a resume PDF (one document) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of your email should be Grassroots Organizer - Providence.