Grants ManagerGrants Manager https://www.foundationlist.org/wp-content/themes/fildisi/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 FoodForward https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/a2ec92f81e923403e81c7820f3c478c9?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Organization: Food Forward, Inc. - a 501 (c)(3) non-profit
Position: Grants Manager
Hours: Full-time, exempted
Location: North Hollywood, CA (this position is temporarily remote due to COVID-19)
Organization Overview: Food Forward fights hunger and prevents food waste by rescuing fresh surplus produce, connecting this abundance with people experiencing food insecurity and inspiring others to do the same. Fruits and vegetables are collected in Los Angeles and Ventura counties from backyard fruit trees, orchards, farmers markets, and the downtown Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market. This recovered produce is provided, free of charge, to hunger relief organizations that serve community members in various ways: food banks, homeless outreach agencies, domestic violence shelters, transitional youth homes, veteran services, family resource centers, LGBTQ+ teen/adult/senior services, college student assistance programs, programs serving people with disabilities, and many more. Since Food Forward’s inception, our staff and thousands of dedicated volunteers have rescued over 175 million pounds of fruits and vegetables. This produce helped to feed millions of people across eight Southern California counties, throughout seven states, as well as in tribal lands in the Southwest last year alone. *See our core values posted below.
Position Overview: The Grants Manager reports to the Chief Development Officer. The Manager will drive the grants solicitation and reporting program for the organization, managing an extensive portfolio of foundation, corporate, and government funder relationships. Working closely with the CDO and an experienced Grant Writer, the Manager will strategize creative and effective outreach to prospective funders while ensuring strict adherence to a robust grants calendar. The Manager will maintain a timely and responsive communications flow with funders externally and with leadership and the Development team internally. Regular financial monitoring and reporting will require a working knowledge of nonprofit budgeting and programs. The Manager is a key communicator about the organization and will be expected to stay well informed about programmatic details. As a member of a growing fundraising team, the Manager will also be part of larger message development, solicitation campaigns, and donor cultivation activities.
The ideal candidate must be a self-starter and possess exceptional communication, written, and critical thinking skills. They should be extremely proactive, personable, possess excellent multitasking skills, and be able to keep small and large projects on schedule. They will demonstrate excellent leadership and project management ability; proficiency in creating and adhering to project timelines; enthusiasm and creativity; a high level of professionalism and discretion with all stakeholders, including VIPs; and a high interest in learning about philanthropic trends and best practices. They will be flexible, a team player, able to work well under pressure, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, open-space environment. The candidate should be passionate about hunger and food justice issues.
Success in the first year will include adherence to all grants deadlines; development of a 2022 calendar that incorporates creative prospecting strategies; established benchmarks for grants program growth based on trends and on a source by source analysis of the current file; and the development of success measures for retention and new solicitation. Food Forward is rapidly expanding, and this position has strong potential for growth!
- Drive a robust grants calendar, ensuring timely internal engagement of staff and leadership and on-time external delivery of proposals and reports.
- Work closely with the Grant Writer to ensure timely and accurate completion of the grants lifecycle: research, outreach, LOIs, proposals, site visits, and reporting.
- Coordinate with the Finance team to create and monitor detailed program budgets and restricted funds reporting on government, capital, and other grants.
- Work closely with CDO to develop the annual fundraising plan and projections for revenue from foundations and government sources; collaborate with other Development managers on projections for corporate and family foundations.
- Using Salesforce CRM for grants management, provide regular internal reports on cash flow and projections; keep the database current with all grant and institutional funder information.
- Advise on grant acknowledgments and other funder communications to ensure both compliance and relationship-building.
- Prepare CEO, CDO, board members, and others for funder meetings, site visits, and other cultivation.
- Create donor and funder education materials for a variety of audiences and issue interests; strategize with Development and Communications teams on creative ways to expand Food Forward’s reach and impact.
- Oversee research of prospective funders, including incorporating outreach opportunities into the annual calendar.
- Maintain deep working knowledge about Food Forward activities for accurate and engaging funder communications; conduct food system research to contextualize and inform Food Forward’s work.
- Work with the CDO to engage the organization’s staff and board in a culture of philanthropy, building understanding of the grants process.
- At least four years of grants management experience, either in fundraising or grant making
- Experience with government grants reporting is a bonus
- Other experience in nonprofit fundraising, program management, or volunteer leadership is highly valued
- Fundamental understanding of nonprofit budgeting and/or proficiency in basic bookkeeping
- Staff management experience is a plus
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or other CRM or donor software is preferred
- Must be willing and available to work occasional nights and weekends.
Application Deadline: July 7, 2021 (applications reviewed on a rolling basis)
Desired Start Date: August 2, 2021
Hours: Full-time, exempted with occasional evening and weekend hours
Salary: $75,000 – 82,000
- Medical, Vision, and Life Insurance coverage
- Simple IRA with 3% employer matching (after one year of employment)
- Generous Sick Days, Paid-Time-Off, and Holiday allocation
- Cell phone allowance
- Telecommuting and Work flexibility
*Food Forward Core Values:
- Creativity – We seek to innovate in all facets of our work.
- Joyfulness – We cultivate a meaningful, fun, positive and spirited work environment.
- Committed to Food Justice – We believe that access to wholesome food, and fresh nutritious produce, is not a privilege, but a right. We work hard to end food inequality and reduce food insecurity.
- Authenticity – We are transparent and honest in our words, deeds, and actions. We act at the highest level of integrity.
- Disciplined – We are reliable, professional, accountable, rigorous and committed to excellence in all areas of our work, both internally and externally.
- Community-minded – We aim to include and connect people in the community, and to remain open, diverse, respectful, and accessible. We take pride in offering people meaningful volunteer and work experiences.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF to email@example.com. The subject line should read, Grants Mgr. – (Your Name). In the body of the cover letter include the answers to the following questions: 1) Where did you discover this listing, and 2) If you were a variety of produce what would you be and why?
No phone calls. Please follow these instructions to ensure that we process your application.
Food Forward is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and those with protected class backgrounds to apply. We value the individuals that we hire and look forward to creating a positive work environment for all identities.