Reports to: Director, Grants Administration
FLSA status: Exempt
The Grants Administrator and Analyst is the point of contact for researchers pursuing and conducting grant funded research at the SETI Institute. Primary duties of the position are to work with potential and current SETI Institute researchers in the preparation and submission of funding proposals, the administration of resulting grant awards, and the analysis of award status for the Principal Investigators. The successful candidate must have prior Grants Administration knowledge and be able to transfer the skillset and experience to achieve immediate results and ensure continuous process improvements.
- Act as the Institute’s Grants Administration point of contact for new researchers; provide administrative support and procedural advice to potential and current SETI Institute Principal Investigators in the submission of grant proposals.
- Continuously stay abreast of changes in sponsoring agency reporting and proposal submission requirements.
- Interpret guidelines from funding organizations and SETI Institute policies.
- Maintain an awareness of funding opportunities and convey same to Principal Investigators.
- In conjunction with the Director of Grants Administration, perform all grant administrative functions over the lifetime of an award, including proposal submission.
- Act as liaison between Principal Investigators and sponsor personnel e.g. NASA Shared Services Center (NSSC).
- Assist with revenue contract preparation and administration.
- Assist with the overall portfolio of Principal Investigators’ awards including analysis, interpretation, projections and forecasting.
- Meet with Principal Investigators on a regular basis to discuss award analysis and forecasting.
- Work with members of the Science Council to implement strategies and plans for Sagan Center science.
- Bachelor’s Degree and five years of experience in grants administration.
- Excellent oral and written communications, analytical and presentation skills.
- Manage, understand and analyze multiple awards, budgets and expenditures.
- In-depth knowledge of funder opportunities, requirements, and deadlines.
- Attention to detail and ability to work within deadlines.
- Ability to work well with staff at all levels, both one-on-one, scientists, and within group settings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of office software, including Microsoft Word, and Excel. Knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
- Able to work independently and under pressure.
- Must be self-motivated and able to perform several tasks simultaneously and complete projects with multiple deadlines.
- Science degree and/or knowledge of NASA operations a plus.
- Must be a team player and maintain a pleasant and professional attitude in the conduct of Institute business.
EXAMPLES OF JOB TASKS:
- In collaboration with the researchers, prepare timely proposal budgets and enter into funder system.
- Review proposals for compliance with funder requirements.
- Periodically review the status of researchers’ awards and provide in depth and accurate analysis of budget status and funding availability.
- Work with the researchers and their needs to provide accurate budget projections and forecasting.
- Clarify requirements or request assistance from a funding agency on behalf of a researcher.
- Frequent to continuous sitting
- Frequent to continuous use of computer monitor, mouse and keyboard
- Frequent use of standard office equipment
Salary/Benefits: The SETI Institute provides competitive salary, excellent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance, a flexible spending account for medical and dependent care, vacation, and sick leave. The Institute sponsors a retirement plan option upon fulfillment of eligibility.
Note: The Institute will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
SETI Institute is an Affirmative Action Employer