Tides is a foundation and non-profit partner committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides’ accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world’s toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; education; and economic development. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Grants Administrator will partner with grants staff to provide administrative support throughout Tides’ grant making process. The successful candidate will work as part of a team and cross-departmentally to provide grant making services for all clients. The grants administrator will be a trusted and integral partner on the grants team, whose organizational skills, attention to detail, and flexibility will further enhance the team’s ability to support our clients and grantees.
The Grants Administrator has three primary roles: i) process standard grants while ensuring compliance with internal policies and IRS regulations, ii) provide administrative support through database management and data entry, iii) screen and answer incoming inquiries from internal and external partners.
The Grants Administrator is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
This job is for you if:
• Tides’ vision, mission, and approach strongly resonate with you
• You are technically savvy and able to learn new systems and processes quickly; you have experience working with databases and/or grants management systems
• You are collaborative and work well both individually and as a team
• You have a strong work ethic; you are organized, timely, and detail oriented; you are adaptable and open to change
• You are stellar about follow through when responding to internal and external client inquiries
• You enjoy supporting a fast-paced work environment in an administrative capacity
The right candidate will be willing and able to:
Grants Database and Administration
• Manage general Grants mailboxes and other assigned email inboxes
• Review, screen, and sometime enter incoming grant recommendations from clients, and help assign and track workload for each team member
• Collaborate with other departments in reviewing and logging incoming grants to Tides Foundation
• Help maintain our databases, and support team with data entry, cleaning, and maintenance as needed
• Comfortably navigate a variety of database/admin systems including MS Office, Salesforce, and grants management systems
Grant Processing, Compliance, and Reporting
• Assist the Grants Team with grant making compliance, due diligence, and processing for standard grant recommendations
o Collect and review grant and due diligence materials, identifying and escalating compliance issues as needed within appropriate systems
o Gather and record grant data, ensures data integrity
o Generate, edit, and review grant award letters to ensure accuracy of terms and conditions and to reflect client’s intent
• Support grants team in handling and mailing grant award letters
• Review and log Tides grant reports, identifying and escalating compliance issues as needed
• Send report reminders to grantees
• Assist with following up on payment issues and coordinating with internal and external partners to resolve
Collaboration and Teamwork
• Build and maintains strong partnerships with all team members; maintains regular working relationships with other departments and entities across the Tides Network
• Help answer inquiries from grantees and internal staff
• Help identify improvements to our grant management system and process
• Other duties as assigned
We are looking for a very quick learner with a strong work ethic and high attention to detail.
• High attention to detail with strong organizational skills
• Advanced experience in database management and data entry
• Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
• Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
• Demonstrates ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
• Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties
• Ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions, prioritize changing workloads in order to meet tight deadlines, and work both independently and as a member of a team
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and different communication styles in a highly multicultural environment
• Advanced computer experience in MS Office
• Ability to appreciate and contribute to a work environment that values integrity, adaptability, reliability, collaboration, a commitment to learning, and a sense of humor
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent years of related work experience
• Demonstrated professional experience
Get to know the team:
Tides Grants Team is both a strategic and operational team that interacts directly with the client services department, finance, and strategic partnerships to provide consultative and collaborative support to facilitate grant making to promising social change organizations, ideas, and movements. This team helps drive Tides’ success as a high functioning compliance and relationship management group that thrives on coming up with innovative solutions to support our clients and their work. The team is based largely in San Francisco.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.