California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc. (CRLA) is a nonprofit legal services program founded in 1966 to assist low-income individuals in rural communities. Over 50 years later, CRLA is one of the largest legal aid organizations in California, utilizing its 19 field offices and a nearly $15 million annual budget to provide more than 42,000 low-income Californians with free legal assistance, community education, and outreach programs. CRLAs mission, To fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities in our society, has driven the development of innovative programming for vulnerable communities, including farmworkers, children, migrants, indigenous communities, and the LGBT community.
Position: Grants Accountant
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Oakland Central Administration Office
Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
Other: FLSA Non-Exempt, Non-Union Position
CRLA is seeking a Grant Accountant to join our team, who is experienced in the administration of post-award financially assigned grants and contracts and is under the general supervision of the Finance Director. This position is responsible for funder billing, related to reimbursable grants or contracts, this must be prepared in a timely and accurate manner. This position works closely with Development and Program Managers in the monitoring of grant budgets to ensure compliance with approved spending plans based on donor intent. Additionally, provides back up for accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash receipts entry and for other accounting positions in the organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Post Award Grants & Contracts Administration
- Provide post-award financial administration for all assigned grants and contracts.
- Responsible for maintaining assigned grants and contracts database and files including the proper set-up of new grants and contracts.
- Review all assigned grants and contracts for billing, reporting and compliance requirements.
- Ensure the proper set-up and maintenance of customers.
- Prepare fiscal portion of grants and contracts progress and final reports and assure submission by negotiated deadline
- Assist with preparation of monthly budget to actual reports for each grant and contract.
- As assigned, review payroll and accounts payable allocations for cost compliance, allow ability and allocability.
- Prepare monthly account analysis of all revenue and expense accounts related to assigned grants and contracts and reconcile discrepancies as necessary.
- Track administrative cost limits. Ensure administrative costs are below cap while maximizing administrative costs.
- For assigned grants and contracts track cost sharing requirements and ensure commitments are fulfilled.
- Ensure matching requirements are being fulfilled, where applicable.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards.
- Prepare all assigned audit and tax schedules.
- Responds to inquiries for special reporting requests.
- Work with funders to use standardized billing where possible.
- Set up each funder billing in compliance with grants or contract requirements.
- Request advances and reimbursements from various funding sources.
- Generate timely, accurate, and fully documented customer invoices based on reports from accounting system.
- Where needed reallocate costs between customers.
- Track unbilled revenues and explain billing delays.
- Create journal entries, reconcile balance sheet accounts and perform month-end procedures.
Accounts Receivable and Cash Receipts
- Recognize unbilled revenue on a monthly basis to support the closing process.
- Back up for cash receipts. Responsible for coding deposits to properly recognize revenue or apply to accounts receivable. Ensure transactions are recorded accurately and timely.
- Back up for Accounts Receivable entry and aging.
- Develop relationships with customers to rectify collection issues and ensure timely receipt of payments.
- As assigned reconcile to balance sheet accounts and perform month-end procedures.
- Respond to funder inquiries.
- Assist in creating weekly cash receipts forecasts.
- Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Support systems improvements and data integrity for financial accounting and grants management systems with finance and accounting team.
- Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
- Support time tracking and costs to serve analysis.
- Adherence to internal controls policies and safeguarding of information.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maximize use of excel and accounting software and minimize use of manual processes.
- Perform as back up for other accounting positions in the organization.
- Perform additional duties or special projects as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting or Finance and/or equivalent amount of experience
- Minimum of 3 years experience in post award grants and contracts administration
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and general accounting, with emphasis on job costing or fund accounting
Preferred Education and Experience
- Prior experience with Federal Awards of grant and contracts
- Two or more years of customer billing and accounts receivable experience
- Knowledge of current accounting standards affecting Non-profits
- Managing grant awards in excess of $15 million annually
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary DOE; Generous beneﬁts package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA and if qualiﬁed - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
California Rural Legal Assistance thrives on our diversity and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a culturally diverse workplace and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, persons with disabilities, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply.
How To Apply
Please use link below to apply with cover letter and resume attached.
OR email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org