NatureServe's software engineers work on a mixture of new and existing projects. Some of the applications we build allow scientists to collect and manage information about rare and endangered species and ecosystems. Other applications provide conservation professionals and planners with tools that analyze this data and help guide their conservation decisions. Finally, we build websites that present this information to educate the public on the natural world that surrounds them, allowing them to explore the challenges that face it and discover the ways in which they can help. Most of these projects have a very heavy focus on geospatial data. If you are not yet an expert on interactive, web-based mapping applications, this position should provide opportunities to learn!
NatureServe is not a traditional software development company. We are a non-profit primarily comprised of scientists and conservation professionals. You will join a small group of talented, dedicated software engineers that work alongside our scientists as members of agile teams. All our software engineers are fully engaged in the complete life cycle of software development, from requirements and design through implementation and testing.
NatureServe offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- 401K savings and retirement plan with matching contributions
- Health and dental insurance
- Short and long-term disability
- Annual and sick leave
- Life insurance
- A 35-hour work week
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Create beautiful, modern, and responsive user interfaces.
- Assist with designing and improving the overall user experience within these applications.
- Be fully involved in the complete life cycle of software development, from requirements gathering through design, implementation, and testing.
The essential job functions listed above are not meant to be all-inclusive and may be subject to change at any time.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience with one or more widely used libraries and frameworks such as jQuery, React, AngularJS, Knockout, Dojo, etc
- Proficiency with source control systems, especially Git
- Proficiency with issue tracking software, e.g. JIRA
We consider candidates from all educational backgrounds. We value your ability to solve problems over your formal education credentials.
OTHER USEFUL SKILLS:
The following skills are not requirements, but would be very beneficial.
- Experience with developing web applications with responsive behaviors
- Demonstrable visual design skills, especially involving user-system interactions
- Experience with UX (User Experience) Design – mockups and wireframes, rapid prototyping, usability testing, and workflow design
- Experience with CSS pre-compilers such as Sass or Stylus
- Experience with using web services
- Basic SQL skills and relational database experience
- A working knowledge of backend Java development
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to work during standard office hours
- Ability to move or adjust light computer and peripheral equipment
- Ability to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Requires frequent communication, verbal and written
- Ability to hear well and speak clearly to engage effectively with staff
- Requires ability to visually or otherwise identify, observe or assess
- Ability to travel independently
- Ability to use organizational technology and multi-phone systems
- Ability to stay focused and maintain composure in a fast-paced, stressful environment
How To Apply
Click on the link below to complete NatureServe’s online application.
NATURESERVE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER