The Foundation Relations Associate will report to the Foundation Relations Manager and be responsible for supporting a variety of grantor- and grants-related activities, particularly through Foundation Relations data maintenance and oversight, and various communications with funders and potential funders. The selected applicant will work closely with the Foundation Relations Manager to advance Catalyst California’s prospecting and stewardship processes for foundation funding. Providing administrative support for the organization’s broader fundraising efforts and events will also be a component of work executed, along with serving as a Development Department liaison with the organization’s programmatic teams and internalized departments. Attention to detail, established and/or coachable writing aptitude, self-motivation, flexibility, critical thinking, verbal and written communication skills, assessing when to request help/support, and the ability to successfully navigate and execute competing priorities are essential to this position. We encourage each candidate to consider how this position can launch, deepen, or expand your career as a fundraising and racial equity professional. This opportunity is designed for the selected candidate to be supported in growing the required skillset, with the more complex duties executed once the Associate is acclimated.
Ensure core administrative support and processes utilized by the Foundation Relations team are operating and updated, while also executing key grants- and grantor-related priorities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Foundation Relations Support (35%): Coordinate meeting agendas, maintain records, submit grant materials, and support grants management as well as prospecting of grants and grantors through the following duties:
- Schedule and draft agenda for internal and external meetings.
- Facilitate and maintain record-keeping and storage of foundation and grants records.
- Coordinate with Administration, Communications, Finance, and Research & Data Analysis departments as needed for grant application and reporting needs.
- Screen and facilitate Development-specific inquiries from both general public and Catalyst California colleagues.
- Submit finalized grant applications and reporting materials or products to funders.
- Track metrics of Foundation Relations team’s annual goals and objectives.
- Maintain accessible documentation of Foundation Relations meetings and updated catalog of supplemental application materials (e.g., 501(c)3 letter, audited financials, bank account information, etc.).
- Oversee and execute processes for providing quality assurance and execution of grants deadlines calendar, grant agreements, and memoranda of understanding (MOUs).
- Eventually conduct initial level of grant prospecting process.
- Provide support for foundation/funder-related conferences and presentations.
- 2. Written Funder/Foundation-Related Communication (30%): Based on the timeline established with the Foundation Relations Manager:
- Draft and/or edit written and verbal communication detailing Catalyst California’s mission, history, and current programming to external audiences, including via emails, eBlasts, and select proposals and reports.
- Provide proofreading support on departmental and organization-wide documents/products as assigned or requested.
- Learn and apply Catalyst California’s signature writing approach to communication with current, potential, and past funders (training provided).
- Initially learn grant reporting process and eventually lead grant reporting for the organization before undergoing training on grant proposal writing.
- After initial guidance, author rapid response to funders around grant applications or reporting logistics.
- Learn and help strategize communication-based experiences that bring donors and other guests closer to the organization and help them appreciate the impact of Catalyst California’s work.
- 3. Foundations Relations Data Oversight & Quality Control (25%): Generate, maintain, and manage Foundation Relations components of fundraising database (EveryAction), including:
- Manage the foundation fundraising data entry and data updates in EveryAction, including tracking grant opportunities, maintaining up-to-date contact information, recording relevant meeting notes and updates.
- Serve as point person on and sending out funder communication for Foundation Relations campaigns, particularly grantor list-building, creating and sending eBlast communications, and generating a variety of reports for team use.
- Liaise with the Finance Department to ensure fundraising and financial records align.
- Create and produce data reports for a variety of purposes.
- Coordinate and plan for future data conversion/upgrades as needed.
- Consult with Senior Development Associate in utilizing database consultants and other resources to maximize effectiveness of database for foundation fundraising efforts.
- 4. Donor Relations and Special Events (5%): Support our Individual Giving team in select assignments and events, including:
- In general, contribute to ensuring that Catalyst California special events are enjoyable.
- Ensure all foundation-related revenue from any events is tracked and recorded accurately.
- Organizational Support (5%): Participate in organization-wide activities, with the goal of creating and maintaining a culture of philanthropy among all staff members.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to conduct each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience working with database(s), preferably with EveryAction
- Experience with project management tools such as Asana and Slack
Candidate Profile, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity
- Demonstrated interest in the fundraising profession; employment and/or volunteer experience or academic preparation preferred
- Possess basic knowledge of fundraising principles and practices, or be highly motivated to learn
- Discretion, commitment to confidentiality, and excellent judgment in handling sensitive individual and organizational information
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to prioritize multiple tasks and a variety of demands
- Strong interpersonal/written/verbal communication skills to effectively collaborate with donors, funders, Board Members, and staff of all levels
- Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities
- Detail-oriented—with strong organizational, analytical, and planning skills
- Able to work in an environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and effectively with computerized data systems, specifically Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work in a professional manner with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment and spirit of cooperation
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times
$60,000 - $75,000: We are excited to share the base salary range for this position is $60,000 - $75,000. When hired by Catalyst California, the selected candidate’s final salary compensation will be determined based on factors such as skills, education, and/or experience. In addition to those factors, we believe in the importance of pay equity and consider internal equity of our current team members as a part of any final offer. Please keep in mind that the range mentioned above is the full salary range for the role. Hiring at the maximum of the range would not be typical in order to allow for future and continued salary growth
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits for eligible employees and their spouses and/or dependents, including registered Domestic Partners
- 403B retirement plan with employer matching benefits after 90 days
- Flexible Spending Account for eligible employees to allocate pre-tax money throughout the year.
- Fifteen (15) vacation days, three (3) personal days, eight (8) sick days, along with national and office holidays
- Organizational and team Wellness Days to build team cohesion and camaraderie
- Opportunity to work in a flexible work culture that is sensitive to employee wellbeing and encourages work-life balance
- Additional benefits provided during the pandemic, including scheduling flexibility for parents and caregivers and telework stipend
- Opportunity to see the meaning and impact of your work at an organization actively building more equitable communities and systems across California
- Opportunity to work in an organization dedicated to pay equity and diverse work culture
- Yearly professional development allowance and support of personalized professional development goals
Catalyst California is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive staff team. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities; and/or formerly incarcerated people.
How To Apply
Please send an email with the subject title “Foundation Relations Associate Application” that includes an attached cover letter, resume, and a writing sample as one PDF attachment titled last_name_first_name_FRA.pdf (e.g., Carmen_Davis_ FRA.pdf) to:
Associate, Administrative & Operations
- Phone interview with Foundations Relations team
- Two panel interview (via Zoom)
- Reference Checks