Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been retained to conduct a search for the new position of Washington State Executive Director for our client Upstream. This full time, onsite position is for immediate hire and will operate from Washington State.
Upstream is a dynamic, high-growth nonprofit that is working to expand opportunity and economic mobility by enabling women to become pregnant only when and if they want to. Upstream’s work allows women to conveniently obtain the full range of contraceptive methods; including the most effective options, IUDs and the implant, and their innovative approach has been featured in the New York Times, The Atlantic, NPR, VOX, New York Magazine, and Reuters. The impact of Upstream USA’s intervention is significant, with health centers across Ohio, Massachusetts, New York, and Texas reporting increased clinician knowledge, greater patient choice and financial sustainability. After successfully implementing a statewide initiative in Delaware that has reached over 136,000 women of reproductive age, Upstream is embarking on an ambitious, nationwide scaling plan to dramatically reduce the nation’s 50% unplanned pregnancy rate.
In Washington State, nearly half of all pregnancies are unplanned, and most of these unplanned pregnancies occur to women who are using a method of contraception that is not effective for them. While many health centers have a number of barriers that make it difficult for women to easily access the most effective methods of contraception, Upstream provides customized training and technical assistance to ensure that health providers of all kinds (publicly supported health centers, hospitals, and private providers) are able to offer patients the full range of contraceptive methods available. Upstream has already made significant progress in its first statewide project in Delaware, which was developed with the full and visible support of former Delaware Governor Jack Markell. Now, Upstream seeks to expand into Washington State, where the organization has the potential to deliver one of the great public health and opportunity wins of our time.
Upstream seeks a highly entrepreneurial, motivated individual to launch, organize, and lead a statewide, multi-year project to improve access to contraception and reduce unplanned pregnancies across Washington State. The Executive Director will be Upstream’s first hire in Washington and will build, manage, and lead significant state-wide public health and opportunity initiatives from the ground up; including monitoring the budget, engaging key stakeholders in the community, and supporting the development of a public awareness campaign. The ideal candidate for this role has experience in not only leadership, but also building a start-up organization from scratch while navigating the challenges and opportunities associated with rapid organizational growth. S/he will have a strong action bias, the innovative spirit of an entrepreneur who thrives on building and growing an organization, and an ingrained focus on impact and outcomes.
Reporting directly to Upstream’s Co-Founder, the Executive Director of Upstream Washington will work with colleagues across the organization to meet and exceed established goals. This position requires no fundraising experience as the financial resources for this statewide initiative are raised by Upstream’s national team.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create and lead the implementation of a statewide project in Washington, a cornerstone of Upstream’s recently completed strategic plan.
- Build a high-performing team from scratch, with the expectation of hiring up to 50 FTEs in Washington over the next two years.
- Manage the implementation of Upstream’s proven intervention model.
Relationship Development and Engagement
- Engage and develop relationships with a wide variety of key stakeholders (government, healthcare, community, and advocacy leaders) to build the case for participating in Upstream’s training and intervention.
- Oversee a team that will recruit health centers, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities to receive Upstream’s training and intervention.
- Recruit and manage a team of clinical and support staff trainers and quality improvement officers who perform client-facing work.
- Support the development of a public awareness campaign to ensure that women in Washington are aware of their contraceptive options.
Program and Operational Management
- Maintain a breadth of knowledge about current healthcare trends in the region, emerging issues, policy and innovations that might impact Upstream’s model.
- Provide oversight for the initiative’s finances; monitor an annual budget and ensure strategic allocation of resources.
- Lead all day-to-day operations of Upstream’s work in the region.
- Work with Upstream’s national team to ensure program implementation is aligned with the organization’s best practices.
- Identify office space and manage all start-up operations for a new and growing team.
- Oversee research; gather information important to planning the rollout of Upstream’s intervention, including the number of health centers to be trained, the number of women served by the health centers, the number of clinicians to be reached, etc.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including experience managing a team in a rapid growth organization.
- Exceptional organizational leadership skills with demonstrated success leading and managing an organization through the start-up and early growth phase.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the natural inclination to take initiative, move quickly, and be creative.
- Comfort working independently; as the first program hire in Washington State, a high degree of flexibility and entrepreneurialism is required to navigate the change and ambiguity inherent in launching this new initiative.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships across a diverse spectrum of stakeholders.
- Experience overseeing budgets, with the capacity to allocate resources strategically and manage spending against budget.
- Strong project management skills, with experience directing and coordinating the work of others.
- A facilitative and collaborative work style, with the ability to build bridges across divergent and competing interests.
- A keen intellect, paired with a strong work ethic and a team-player attitude.
- Determination and commitment to Upstream’s mission and the drive to overcome challenges by identifying alternative channels in the pursuit of an established goal.
- Willingness to travel as needed to interact with health center leadership (mainly in Washington State), particularly early in the role, for up to 25% of the time
Upstream USA is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The Upstream work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability. The position offers competitive pay and comprehensive benefits.
About Our Firm:
Scion Executive Search, a division of Scion Staffing, Inc., is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Cultivated in the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for leading organizations around the world. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led thousands of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.scionstaffing.com.
Scion Staffing, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and service provider committed to not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to making employment decisions based on merit and value, for ourselves, our client companies, and for the candidates we represent.
How To Apply
For immediate consideration please email your resume and a cover letter describing your professional background and qualifications to the attention of Elissa Dumiak, Executive Recruiter, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.