Canticle Farm, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community farm seeking a highly motivated individual with leadership and management skills interested in farming, environmental stewardship and providing food security to those in need.
- Responsible for business operations
- Supervise office staff and farm operations manager
- Establish and engage in relationships with public, private, philanthropic and nonprofit stakeholders and cultures
- Lead fundraising programs
- Serve as chief spokesperson for Canticle Farm to spread our positive mission, while being active and visible in the community
- Participate in donor and community outreach
- Manage the farm’s in- and out-bound communications
- Manage, maintain regulatory rules, changes and paperwork for farm employees
- Report and work with board of directors and committees
- Recruit new board members
- Oversee fiscal management
- Secure funding for donated CSA shares as part of our charitable mission
The ideal candidate will have:
- A passion and vision for community farming and farm-based education as an agent for social change, providing food for those in need in an agroecological manner
- Program development and implementation experience
- Leadership and strategic decision-making skills
- A record of fundraising success
- Donor management experience
- Community outreach experience
- Experience running a non-profit organization
- Budgeting and financial experience
- Strong writing and public speaking skills
- Computer and technical skills using a variety of programs
- Grant writing and search experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- The ability to manage projects, adhere to timelines and deadlines, and work well under pressure
Our Mission: Canticle Farm, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, was founded in 2001 in Allegany, NY, by the forward-thinking Franciscan Sisters of Allegany (FSA) as a ministry to the local community to provide fresh, healthy, locally grown food using sustainable Certified Naturally Grown (CNG) farming methods without the use of synthetic or chemical applications. Our philosophy is based on FSA’s concept of guidance through a justice-focused purpose using a model of land preservation that produces safe, naturally grown produce for all people.
The Franciscan tradition is fully revealed in Canticle Farm’s symbiotic farming practices, stewardship and respect for land, and loving care for the health of the greater community’s citizens. All practices and operations on our 26-acre farm are embodied in fulfilling the mission and providing for the food security and health of the area’s families, along with educational opportunities.
Through our Sponsored Share Program, we donate 20% of our summer harvest to a wide variety of organizations engaged in alleviating food insecurity throughout Cattaraugus and Allegany counties in NY, and McKean County in PA. This program is supported by grants and donations from religious groups and societies, local organizations, individuals and friends of the farm.
About the Farm: Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) model connects Canticle Farm to families and individuals in our community with healthy, fresh-picked food through a shareholder/farmer relationship, as well as our year round Canticle Farm Market that is open to all.
Requirements: A college degree is preferred. Must have relevant nonprofit and/or farming experience.
Position Details: This is an in-person, full-time, full-year, salaried position at 32-35 hours per week. Benefits include 403(b) retirement savings plan, health insurance, paid time off and access to our fresh produce. The outgoing President will be available to assist with the transition as needed.
Canticle Farm is an equal opportunity employer. We actively foster a safe work environment that is free of discrimination, bias, harassment and racism. We believe all individuals should be treated with dignity and respect.
How To Apply
Please send your resume and letter of interest to the attention of Shauna Keesler, Canticle Farm Board Chair, at email@example.com. Subject line should read: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR/PRESIDENT JOB APPLICATION 2021. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the right candidate is found. Preferred start date is November.