Executive Director | JOB DESCRIPTION
- Type of Position: Full Time
- Hours: 40 hours per week (may include some weekends and evenings)
- Location: Flexible location with occasional visits to Panama
Movement Exchange is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that unites dance and service through its network of university chapters, international dance exchanges, and year-round programs in underserved communities. Movement Exchange was founded in 2010 and currently has programs in the United States, Panama, and Brazil. In the United States, Movement Exchange’s 20+ university chapters in the U.S. provide accessible dance education in their local communities, offering free dance classes to individuals in youth foundations, domestic violence shelters, foster homes, and more. University chapter members and other dancers attend week-long international dance exchanges in Panama or Brazil during which they learn from local dance artists and teach dance classes for at-risk youth. To support sustainable dance education, Movement Exchange operates year-round, locally staffed dance education programs throughout Panama. Movement Exchange believes connection through dance can foster cross-cultural understanding, civic engagement, social inclusion, creative expression and self-esteem.
Movement Exchange seeks an Executive Director who is passionate about the arts and social justice. The Executive Director is responsible for achieving Movement Exchange’s mission by ensuring the success of its international dance exchanges and year-round dance programs in underserved communities in the U.S. and Panama. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a strong work ethic, who is excited to grow and shape the future of the organization.
Requirements/Skills and Qualifications:
- Entrepreneurial, “can do,” resourceful spirit
- Outgoing “Jack/Jill of all trades” that preferably has experience working internationally
- Passion for dance, education, and working with university students and youth
- Ability to work in a small team and be adaptable in a rapidly changing environment while maintaining effectiveness
- Strong leadership skills, with an emphasis on transparency and integrity
- Knowledge of U.S. university system, specifically with running a student organization
- Budget management skills, including creation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting
- Understanding of social media and engagement of the Movement Exchange audience
- Strong organizational skills including planning, delegation, program development, task facilitation, resource management, etc.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to non-profit sector
- Ability to convey Movement Exchange’s mission, vision, and values to staff, board, volunteers, and donors
- Strong written communication and public speaking skills
- Familiarity with data management software such as Salesforce and computer skills such as using Google Drive, Word, Excel, Dropbox etc.
- Two or more years of non-profit management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in dance, business or arts administration, or related field
- Preferably bilingual in English and Spanish
- Strategic Management:
- Develop a strategic plan for each school year including methods for reaching goals (i.e., revenue goals, grants earned, individual donations received, budgets, number of university chapters and international volunteers)
- Track goals via goal management dashboard and monthly tasks.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all operations of the organization.
- Team Management:
- Responsible for hiring and retention of competent and qualified staff, interns, and university chapter leaders.
- Manage and lead Movement Exchange staff including interns, Panama Country Director, and year-round instructors in Panama, as well as serving as the main point of contact for university chapters.
- Create contracts and any other agreements made and entered into on behalf of the organization.
- Content Management:
- Ensure that all resources, information, documents, photos, videos, etc. are saved using Google Drive and Dropbox in an organized manner that will allow for the transfer of knowledge year over year.
- Financial Performance and Viability:
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization by controlling costs and increasing revenue.
- Secure individual donations, in-kind donations, and public or private grants and manage donor information and relationships.
- Submit annual budget and monthly financial statements to Board.
- Board Governance
- Responsible for leading Movement Exchange in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors and provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all meeting minutes and necessary information for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions.
- Report to and work closely with Board to seek involvement in policy decisions, fundraising, and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Maintain and expand the Board of Directors as needed.
- Risk Management
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with Movement Exchange’s programs and how they may affect staff and dance diplomats in the U.S. and abroad.
- Ensure that the organization has appropriate and adequate insurance coverage and that the staff and Board of Directors understands these policies.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations for reporting of finances.
- Marketing Management:
- Increase Movement Exchange’s brand recognition by being active and visible within the dance and non-profit communities and by working closely with other professional, civic, and private organizations.
- Develop and distribute content for social media, mass emails, newsletters, relevant websites, travel blogs, newspapers, magazines, etc. with the goals of (1) acquiring more volunteers for international dance exchanges, (2) creating new Movement Exchange university chapters, and (3) demonstrating the impact of Movement Exchange programs worldwide.
- Manage social media accounts including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Oversee all website content and modify as necessary.
- Engage the Movement Exchange network through monthly video updates and newsletters highlighting important updates and information
- University Chapter Management and Dance Diplomat Relations:
- Provide chapter resources and information on leadership and chapter management to ensure the success and sustainability of chapters.
- Manage dance diplomat relations with the overall goal of creating a global network of dancers who are united in the Movement Exchange mission, vision, and values.
- Coordinate all pre-exchange logistics including date selection, deposit deadlines, dance diplomat information, waivers, and pre-departure calls
- Impact Measurement:
- Compile metrics throughout the year from (1) chapters in the U.S., (2) international year-round programs, and (3) international dance exchanges.
- Develop an end-of-year report to be sent to all donors, volunteers, supporters, and alumni in Movement Exchange’s network highlighting impact made.
- Continually develop impact measurement tools, such as surveys and questionnaires that can be used in the U.S. and Panama.
- All other duties as they arise
- All communication is done via the internet as staff, volunteers, and interns are not located in one place. The Executive Director must be highly motivated and willing to organize their own time and goals while working remotely.
Compensation commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter, resume with 2 references, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply
How to Apply:
2)resume with references