American Liver Foundation
The American Liver Foundation (ALF) is the nation’s leading non-profit organization promoting liver health and disease prevention, is seeking a dynamic, innovative Executive Director to lead the Texas Division, which is based in Houston, but has a significant presence in the Dallas area as well. ALF provides research, education, support services and advocacy for those affected by liver-related diseases.
Provides the overall leadership and management for those strategies designed to create cost effective and on-going sources of revenue, community presence and mission delivery within the division’s markets including, but not limited to, the greater Houston and Dallas areas.
Accountable for managing division human and financial resources through the development of an annual budget and business plan and in administering organization policies and procedures necessary for the efficient functioning of the division through innovation, collaboration, excellence and a culture of accountability to the organization’s mission.
- Provides leadership, direction, management and training for division staff in the development and implementation of organizational plans.
- Provides leadership, support, materials, reports and assistance in building and implementing the on-going development of a strong division board, community presence and volunteer base.
- Initiates and manages the development of the division’s annual budget and business plan for short and long-range goals and meets budgetary expectations.
- Maintains a working knowledge of the organization’s mission and its core programs.
Mission Involvement, Community Development and Public Relations:
- Provides the leadership, management and support for the development and delivery of mission driven programs and services.
- Develops, engages and maintains active involvement with the division’s Medical Advisory Committee(s) in Houston and Dallas, respectively.
- Serves as the primary staff spokesperson and communicator to promote the understanding of the organization’s mission and presence in the division market areas.
- Cultivates productive relationships with the media and various constituent and related groups including professional, medical, educational, patients, families and grass-roots leadership.
- Directs the cultivation and acquisition of foundation and corporate contributions through sponsorship and material and/or in-kind support.
- In consultation with Human Resources, performs division personnel management functions, including, but not limited to staff hiring/termination, performance management, training, supervision and compensation changes.
- Oversees the efficient and effective operation of division personnel in Houston and Dallas in accordance with the established policies and procedures.
- Appraises operating results in terms of costs, approved budget compliance, operating policies, trends and increased net profit opportunities.
- Administers the established personnel policies and procedures.
- Ensures and oversees the preparation of reports, division records and other documentation as requested which present the progress and status of the division’s plans and activities.
- Implements the approval process for all contracts, purchases and banking activities in accordance with organization policies.
- Represents the best interests, professionalism and integrity of the organization in all activities and relationships through a unified message of the mission and a commitment to organizational standards.
- Provides leadership in building confidence and strong working relationships between the division office and the national office.
- Ensures that the policies adopted by the organization through the National Board are understood and followed by all employees.
- Knowledge and skill in nonprofit leadership with emphasis on proven fundraising results, board and volunteer development, staff management and mission delivery.
- Proficiency in fiscal management and revenue/expense forecasting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and knowledge of social media and event fundraising platforms.
- Ability to leverage relationships and negotiate agreements.
- Skilled in exercising sound judgment and in possession of good analytical skills and integrity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven supervisory, leadership and team building skills.
- Demonstrated experience in community development and strategic planning.
- Ability to manage the division office in Houston and field staff in Dallas.
- Must be able to travel as needed, 25% to 30%.
- Need a flexible schedule as there are times during the year that require working on nights and weekends.
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 pounds.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum education – Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred or the equivalent in education, training and experience may be considered.
- Six or more years of progressively responsible related experience with a minimum of three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual a plus.
How To Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary requirements to Kathleen Flynn, National Director of Divisions, at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
The American Liver Foundation (ALF) will aspire to involve every segment of the community in every aspect of its work and will demonstrate its commitment to and accountability for an inclusive environment in which differences are recognized, respected, valued and celebrated.