Puente a la Salud Comunitaria, a leading NGO in Oaxaca, Mexico, is looking for its next Executive Director. Puente’s work focuses on food sovereignty and community development in the Oaxacan communities it works with, as well as on collaborative and policy efforts to positively impact the systems in which it operates. Over the past 15 years, Puente has grown significantly and honed its holistic approach to community development in the villages in which it works, using amaranth as a vehicle to support public health, economic development, and sustainable agriculture. Puente’s reputation is second to none in Oaxaca and beyond, with strong institutional relationships with amaranth experts, funding partners, civil society, policy makers, and businesses. Most importantly, Puente continues to maintain a clear focus on those who matter most: the community members with whom it is fortunate to partner.
Puente seeks a leader who can oversee all aspects of the organization. The ideal candidate will come in with a hunger for learning in order to understand the current reality of the organization. S/he will develop an informed perspective and subsequently a plan of where to focus efforts in order to further consolidate the organization and move towards the organizational vision. The ideal candidate will be able to lead the organization successfully towards its goals, while managing a staff and ensuring that high quality work is completed. S/he will cultivate an organizational culture that supports people to do and be their best.
Perhaps most importantly, Puente’s next leader will have a flawless track record of operating with values, honesty and transparency at the forefront of their efforts. S/he will work successfully with the board of directors, staff, and partners to set the vision for the organization and subsequently to make it a reality.
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization and ensuring that the operations effectively support its strategic direction. S/he will understand the organization’s work on all levels and lead the organization successfully towards its goals. The Executive Director will manage a staff and ensure that high quality work is completed and that the culture of the organization supports people to do and be their best. S/he will operate with values in tact in their work with the board, partners, and staff.
- Agency Wide Program Development and Delivery
- Ensures that Puente has a long-range strategic plan that achieves its mission and goals, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Shows creativity, innovation, and initiative in creating or improving programs.
- Provides leadership in supporting staff to meet or exceed goals and learn from missteps.
- Maintains and utilizes a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field (amaranth, agriculture, health, community development).
- Administration, Human Resource Management, and Organizational Culture
- Establishes, supervises and motivates an effective management team.
- Recruits and retains a diverse and technically qualified staff.
- Maintains a work environment and organizational culture that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Ensures that job descriptions are developed, and that regular performance evaluations are held and documented.
- Ensures compliance with personnel policies and national regulations on workplaces and employment.
- Encourages staff development and education, and assists staff in relating their specialized work to the total capacity of Puente.
- Community Relations and External Impact
- Serves as an effective spokesman for Puente; represents the programs and point of view of the organization to private, public, and non-profit sectors.
- Identifies and establishes strategic partnerships and coalitions to enhance the impact of the organization.
- Strategically advocates on behalf of organizational mission to ensure greater and more lasting impact.
- Financial Management and Legal Compliance
- Assures adequate control and accounting of all funds, including developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Works with the program staff and the Board in preparing the budget; sees that the organization operates within the established budget guidelines.
- Maintains official records and documents, and ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations and reporting requirements (both in the United States & Mexico).
- Executes legal documents and labor contracts appropriately.
- Assures that funds are disbursed in accordance with contract requirements and donor designations.
- Fundraising and Development
- Develops realistic, ambitious fundraising and development plans.
- Meets or exceeds revenue goals, ensuring that adequate funds are available to allow Puente to carry out its work.
- Successfully involves Board and key staff in the fundraising and development.
- Establishes positive relationships with government, foundation and corporate donors.
- Develops strong and sustainable relationships with individual donors.
- Positions the organizational image and reputation to motivate diverse and multiple donors to collaborate resources to Puente.
- Board of Directors and Local Advisory Committee
- Leads and oversees work with both the board of directors and the local Advisory Committee.
- Sees that the Board is kept informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Involves local stakeholders in strategic discussions related to Puente and its role in the Oaxacan context.
- Strategic Thinker: Anticipates and prepares for future events and outcomes.
- Conceptual: Goes beyond the details and sees the big picture.
- Articulate: Speaks and writes in both English and Spanish with ease, clarity, and impact.
- Decisive: Acts quickly, confidently, and with determination.
- Innovative: Uses original thinking to generate new ideas and solutions.
- Good Listener: Listens attentively and understands what is being said.
- Judgment: Forms sound opinions and makes solid decisions.
- Perceptive: Has a keen understanding of people, ideas, and organizations.
- Visionary: Sees the long-term possibilities of what the future could be.
- Collaborative: Partners with others to realize better results.
- Develops Others: Coaches or instructs others to improve their performance.
- Diplomatic: Deals tactfully with diverse people, situations, and ideas.
- Ethical: Guided by a set of core values and beliefs to act with integrity and honesty.
- Networking Skills: Builds and maintains relationships and alliances.
- Personable: Has a friendly, approachable style.
- Self-Confident: Believes strongly in own judgment, abilities, and skill.
- Manages Stress: Performs competently under pressure.
- Team player: Works well within diverse groups to achieve common goals.
- Committed: Pledges firmly to a goal, idea, or plan.
- Continuous learner: Driven to learn and stay current professionally.
- Enthusiastic: Shows a lively and genuine interest in work.
- Hard-Working: Works vigorously, and does what’s needed to get the job done.
- Persistent: Perseveres in spite of opposition or difficulty.
- Quality Commitment: Believes in and works to achieve the highest standards.
- Resourceful: Finds alternative solutions to overcome problems or limitations.
- Results-Driven: Focuses on achieving results that promote success.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English
- Ability to live full time in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
How To Apply
The anticipated start date for the position is early summer 2019. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Puente a la Salud Comunitaria is an equal opportunity employer and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
All correspondence will remain confidential.