Position: Executive Director of The Foundation For Tomorrow
Direct Supervisor: Board of Directors
*Must be a legal US resident with permission to work
The Foundation For Tomorrow (TFFT)
TFFT is a dynamic and fast-growing international non-profit that focuses on improving access to education for orphan and vulnerable children while also improving the quality of education. Through comprehensive Scholarship and Teacher Training Programs, TFFT is transforming the education landscape in Tanzania.
Our core business is addressing vulnerability through the lens of education. We pursue our mission through direct interventions with most vulnerable children (MVC), focusing on providing access to quality education. Specifically, TFFT works to secure quality education and emotional support for orphan and vulnerable children in Tanzania. We believe in the child-centered approach to account for the different ways young people grow, develop, and learn. In addition to providing tuition and board for scholars, TFFT also offers personalized developmental guidance with our Career Coaching and Mentorship Program. We also invest in teacher and school management training and resource development. Through in-service teacher and school management training we help create more child-centered, participatory learning environments.
In support of our Theory of Change, for the past 15 years TFFT invests in our scholars, offering them a well-rounded education that includes life skills, education about their rights, health and psychosocial support, and opportunities to support their future. TFFT works directly with each child’s family or guardians to improve their livelihoods and, where necessary, intervene to address familial dysfunction and distress. TFFT also engages systematically with key actors within the education and social welfare sectors to address issues that exacerbate children’s vulnerability. TFFT works with MVC Committees, with Ward Executive Officers, Social Welfare Officers, with care-centers and other child-focused agencies to identify children who are particularly vulnerable and who would benefit from access to educational scholarships. TFFT’s Teacher Training Program improves the quality of instruction in primary and secondary schools and ensures that schools are child-friendly, non-stigmatizing, gender-sensitive, and supportive of the needs of marginalized children.
TFFT team members constantly examine TFFT’s efforts and generate fresh, innovative ideas with the bold vision to improve Tanzania’s education system and to increase access to quality primary and secondary education. TFFT is an organization that truly places children at its core, holds them in their hearts, and thoughtfully makes every decision with only the students’ best interests in mind. The TFFT team is proud to see the exponential growth of the TFFT scholars as a result of 15 years of TFFT’s programs, guidance, and support.
TFFT seeks an experienced leader who can take the current framework from our 2021-2026 Strategic Plan, and build on it for our next stage of development. This will be the first Executive Director (ED) taking over from the Founder, who served as ED for TFFT’s lifespan to date. The ED will be a thought leader with an understanding of TFFT’s work, extensive and demonstrable knowledge of international development and education, specifically in the African landscape. The ED will have the ability to listen to TFFT’s diverse constituents and, through a collaborative approach with a multitude of stakeholders, champion and execute new innovative programs.
The ED will lead at a unique strategic moment to advance TFFT’s mission to not only improve the quality of education in Tanzania, but also increase access to education to those most vulnerable in society. The ED must raise TFFT’s visibility nationally and internationally through consistent relationship building with donors and institutions, as well as through frequent participation in programs and events specific to the education and international development spaces.
Candidates must have experience in leadership roles, preferably in the field of education and/or African development. Knowledge of Tanzania and an appreciation for its people, assets, challenges and opportunities is appreciated. An understanding of how non-profits operate is vital.
Role of the Executive Director
The purpose of the ED is to work closely with the Board of Directors to develop and enact its mission, vision and strategic objectives through all aspects of programming. The ED should embody TFFT values and all that TFFT believes.
- Empowerment, Growth, Collaboration, Empathy, Impact, Integrity
- In a just world where all children have equal access to quality education
- In the power of investing in educators because quality education transforms lives
- In the limitless potential of our scholars because most vulnerable children are valuable to society
- In using partnerships and collaboration to provide access to innovative learning platforms because systemic change starts at the community levelIn responsible growth to maintain organizational integrity
- Serve as the face and voice of TFFT, actively engaging and energizing TFFT’s network
- Provide thoughtful leadership and vision to work with the Board of Directors to set the strategic direction, priorities, and policies for TFFT
- Maintain, develop, and support a strong Board of Directors; seek and build board’s involvement with strategic direction
- Recruit, develop, manage, and motivate staff in ways that result in consistent high levels of program performance and development performance
- Supervise, guide, and evaluate performance of TFFT Leadership Team staff: Country Director, and US staff (Grant Writer, Development and Operations Manager, Impact Strategist and Communications Associate, Bookkeeper)
- Supervise program evaluation and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
- Oversee Tanzanian’s implementation of the strategic plan, and give guidance to strengthen and innovate along the way
- Serve as a spokesperson and oversee work that engages media at every level to develop and drive communications that engage and educate our network and the general public
- Identify potential risks and opportunities within the organization and its environment to protect organization’s interest and assets
- Oversee integration of the Learning Centre, our new initiative, with current TFFT programming, in conjunction with the Country Director
- Maintain and adhere to TFFT’s mission and bylaws
- Periodically be present in Tanzania, visiting TFFT’s programs and stakeholders. Attend events held by partners and be visible to show support and oversight where needed
- Develop partnerships with stakeholders, regulators, and other relevant parties
- Meet and discuss our work with like minded non-profits working in our space to see and understand best practices that can be used to elevate TFFT programming
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments and field analyses of team and programming
- Conduct annual in-person Board meeting
- Conduct Board conference calls bimonthly to provide updates on development and program activities, as well as financial performance
- Carry out Board recommendations
- Research activities and procedures of similar foundations to remain current in this area of work
- Ensure the integrity and strength of Board leadership and addresses issues around clarity of role, governance, bylaws/policies
- Provide team support to the Board, including development of agenda, preparation of meeting materials, assisting Board committees, and attending all Board meetings
- Orientation of new Board members; develop Board participation and engagement
- In conjunction with the US team, deepen relationships with current donors
- Build meaningful relationships with major institutional and individual donors
- Oversee all US activities including campaigns, donor pipeline, special events, major donors, sponsorship, direct mail, events, major donor, sponsorships, foundation and all other revenue-generating programs
- Consistently review and evaluate fundraising progress, cash flow, and budget allocation throughout the year
- Proactively direct all aspects of prospect research, drafting, reporting, and compliance of grants
- Continue to build out TEAM TFFT brand to promote peer-to-peer fundraising model
- Develop, implement, and manage budgets with support of Development and Operations Manager and Country Director
- Provide financial oversight and management of organization, including compliance with financial controls, regulatory bodies, and generally accepted accounting principles
- Work with Treasurer and Bookkeeper to prepare and interpret financial reports for the Board of Directors
Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of 10 years of non-profit or relevant private sector management experience, ideally Africa-focused, with a clear record of success and achievement in leading organizations
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to grassroots empowerment, and education equity
- Ability to develop driven and empowered leaders within an organization
- Ability to coach, manage, and develop high performing teams
- Strong experience with grassroots organizing strategies
- Commitment to building and sustaining relationships with TFFT’s key stakeholders
- Proven leadership abilities, including problem solving, decision-making, and engendering trust with and among staff.
- Experience prospecting potential sources of investment and overseeing fundraising campaigns and appeals
- Experience in budgeting and financial management
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with an ability to grow and maintain key relationships with multiple stakeholder groups
- Capacity for strategic thinking and long-term organizational planning
- Proficient with technology for planning, management and communications, including Microsoft Office, Bloomerang, web platforms (WordPress), and social media
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with fluency in English
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in a relevant field
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a passion for TFFT’s mission
- Have experience working in Africa,with a special focus on education on the continent
- Have experience effectively leading and managing diverse teams of people
- Be a dynamic individual with fundraising experience and the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Have excellent project management skills and commitment to data driven program evaluation
- Possess excellent organizational skills; demonstrates ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively
- Pay meticulous attention to detail and follow-through; performing tasks accurately and efficiently
- Be an assertive self-starter with a proactive attitude and ability to work independently
- Work as a team player; seeks and acts on feedback as appropriate
- Balance competing priorities while keeping constant sight of overall objectives and long term vision for TFFT
- Ability to perform effectively under pressure and handling difficult situations with poise, judgment, and tact while maintaining a positive, problem-solving attitude
- Display a high degree of maturity and professionalism at all times, consistent with TFFT's culture/values
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours
- A respect for and understanding of cross cultural relations, with an ability to work effectively in a multicultural setting and demonstrate respect towards a diverse set of opinions.
How To Apply
If you meet the requirements please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your first name/first initial and last name in the subject line.