Position Profile 1-19-21
The SEB Foundation is seeking an Executive Director, located in the Twin Cities, to develop the foundation’s overall platform to award grants to organizations focused on education, health and equality. The Executive Director will be responsible for clarifying the mission and vision of the foundation, defining the application process for awarding grants, establishing best practices for the operations and management of the foundation, and building the infrastructure for a sustainable and successful future of giving.
The Executive Director is the first paid employee of the foundation. This position is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include marketing and creating relationships with other successful foundations, to learn from and build ongoing relationships. This position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
- Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for creating and building the Board of Directors and defining the duties and responsibilities of Board members.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Working with the Board to define the mission of the foundation.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that the foundation can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for implementation of the foundation’s programs that carry out the mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of the foundation’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Financial Performance and Viability: Manages the financial resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the foundation, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the foundation.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Following the mission, creating a staffing plan that defines which staff will be needed to hire for the foundation, and the timing of these hires.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the foundation, the media and general public.
- Define a marketing and communications plan that supports the mission of the foundation. This may include the development of a website, media considerations and other marketing channels that support the mission of the foundation.
- A seasoned leader with 10+ years of management experience gained in a mission-driven, private or family-owned organization.
- A successful leader with high emotional intelligence skills: self-awareness, self-management and social awareness.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- A leader with sound business judgment and the analytical ability to know what is apt to be a good program investment and/or use of foundation funds.
- A track record of building, developing and leading a high performing team and a proven ability to mentor and coach those who hold key positions in the organization.
- A person who has successful experience working with a Board.
- Strong financial management skills including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.