Pi Sigma Alpha is looking for a dynamic, mission-driven leader who is passionate about helping PSA stimulate student scholarship and intellectual interest in political science.
About Pi Sigma Alpha: Founded at the University of Texas in 1920, Pi Sigma Alpha's mission is to stimulate scholarship and intellectual interest in political science through a variety of programs for student members and local chapters. A nonpartisan organization, Pi Sigma Alpha is the only honor society for college students of political science and government in the United States. It is open to graduate and upper-level undergraduate students who have met the organization’s criteria for academic excellence.
Pi Sigma Alpha Diversity and Inclusion Statement: Pi Sigma Alpha is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity, equity, and inclusion among its members and staff. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
The Main Roles of the Executive Director: The Executive Director serves as the head of the organization and is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of Pi Sigma Alpha. This position requires a dynamic, mission-driven leader who is passionate about helping PSA stimulate student scholarship and intellectual interest in political science. The Executive Director is responsible for planning and executing the goals and operational plans of PSA, as well as ensuring the financial health and legal compliance of the organization.
Your Core Accountabilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization and ensure its long-term success.
- Plan, actively manage, and oversee the organization’s operations and programs, while ensuring the organization’s financial sustainability.
- Oversee and regularly report on the organization’s operations, finances, and programs to The Executive Committee.
- Provide thoughtful executive leadership that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by The Executive Committee.
- Establish long-term and short-term goals, objectives, and operational plans in collaboration with The Executive Committee.
- Plan and execute PSA’s largest annual event, The National Student Research Conference.
- Facilitate the publication of the PSA Undergraduate Journal of Politics, which includes budgeting, oversight, and coordination with the editorial team.
- Oversee and manage all grants made to local chapters (awarded annually).
- Work with General Counsel to ensure overall compliance in all legal matters.
- Work with the Portfolio Manager to ensure the long-term financial health of PSA.
- Provide strong communication with all constituents, including:
- Communicate effectively with The Executive Committee by continually providing all information necessary for members to make informed decisions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Communicate effectively and consistently with all student members and Chapter Advisors.
- Effectively represent the organization in person or virtually (as appropriate) and through social media (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) to promote a positive organizational image:
- across Chapters
- at Colleges and Universities
- at local and national conferences
- among other Academic Honor Societies
- Manage the accounting for PSA, ensuring compliance in all tax and related matters.
- Apply innovative thinking and performance measurements to analyze and support strategic decision-making.
- Contribute to the strategic plan and drive its implementation.
- Promote diversity and inclusion practices among membership and Chapter Advisors, ensuring engagement and resources for all students with intellectual interests in political science.
- Oversee, manage, and mentor all full- or part-time interns or employees.
- Perform general management duties ensuring the successful, continuous operations of the organization.
What you bring to the job:
- A passion for PSA’s student members and Chapter Advisors.
- A passion for learning and promoting academic excellence.
- Impeccable communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A desire to continually and consistently develop PSA to best serve our members.
- An openness to ideas and the desire to consistently evaluate yourself and our organization to ensure constant improvement.
- Core traits of diligence, collaboration, an inquisitive mind, and a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Your Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 – 10 Years of Managerial Experience, or equivalent
Your Previous Experience:
- Previous work within academia, preferably within political science
- Previous work with a non-profit organization in an executive capacity; preferably with a membership or chapter-based organization
- Previous experience planning and executing large scale events with upwards of 500 participants
- Understanding of non-profit finance
- Understanding of non-profit legal compliance
- Previous experience promoting an organization across social media platforms
- Ability to maintain and update the organization’s website
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and CV to Shawn@ALTHRPartners.com or apply below