Please follow application directions when applying. Failure to do so will forfeit your application. See details at www.greaterashmont.org/jobopening
Founded in 1999, Greater Ashmont Main Street is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization accredited by the National Main Street Center and with an ongoing economic revitalization contract with the City of Boston. It strives to maintain and further develop our historic Dorchester commercial district as a welcoming destination for those from inside and outside the area, offering:
- A transit-oriented, Complete Streets locale that benefits a culturally diverse population,
- A complementary business mix that supports the needs of area residents and civic organizations,
- The appeal of rich historical qualities melded with modern day development, and
- A vibrant social scene offering spaces favorable for community gatherings, which will attract patronage from beyond our region.
Learn more about the organization, its history, structure, and ongoing projects at greaterashmont.org.
Executive Director Job Description
Greater Ashmont Main Street’s Executive Director (ED) coordinates the operations and administration of the non-profit. The ED works closely with the Board of Directors and liaisons for the City of Boston Economic Development Department and the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services, as well as representatives of surroundings civic associations, various NGO partners, and relevant elected officials.
The ED leads the planning and implementation of the organization’s annual workplan and calendar of events, assisting the Board and various committees in accomplishing their goals, while keeping the organization in compliance with its by-laws, vision statement, and underlying contract with the City of Boston. The ED and the Treasurer collaborate closely on projecting and maintaining an accurate budget and healthy financials for the organization. The ED is a central point of contact and source of information regarding ongoing projects, programs, and events in the neighborhood, acting as an “ambassador” to and for the district in a variety of ways.
Characteristics & Knowledge
- Well-developed, timely communication skills, both written and oral; comfortable with public speaking
- Effective manager of people, resources, and funding sources
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities and projects with excellent attention to detail and discretion as needed
- Superior interpersonal skills, willing to spend a portion of work time out of the office for projects in the larger district
- Skill in navigating cultural differences
- Knowledge of the Greater Ashmont MS district, Dorchester, and Boston at large would be preferred
- There are many professional backgrounds that would make for an excellent candidate. A new ED could excel in this role starting out with a working knowledge (through education or work experience) in any of the following areas or prior career paths: architecture, historic preservation, residential & commercial development, public relations, community organizing, journalism, public planning, business administration, marketing, retail, non-profits, volunteer administration, event planning, placemaking, fundraising, or small business administration. If this role and its impact on the community are of interest to you, please apply!
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 – 5 years professional experience preferred.
- Existing comfort with MS Office, with the Google Cloud Suite, and social media generally
- Existing skill or willingness and ability to learn other software used in the office environment, including Apple OS; Greater Ashmont’s social media platforms (Facebook, twitter, Instagram); Canva and Photoshop Elements (graphic design); Quickbooks (accounting); Constant Contact (newsletter); WordPress (website design); Square (credit card processing)
- Able to lift up to 40lbs unassisted, more as part of a team
- Proficiency in another language in addition to English would be a plus, especially in
Vietnamese, Spanish, or Cape Verdean Creole, but is not required
Hours: 40 hours/week, based out of the Greater Ashmont Main Street office at 1914
Dorchester Avenue; evening or weekend hours for organizational meetings or community events required regularly; otherwise flexible schedule
Wage: $60,000 annually, bonus eligible
Benefits: 4 weeks PTO accrued proportionally over the year; comp time allowed on an informal basis as part of the generally flexible schedule; 11 paid federal holidays; $500annual professional development budget
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: Farmers Market Manager/Program Assistant (40 hours/week)
Review Schedule: 6 months, then annual
1 Note that all current group meetings of more than five people are conducted only virtually in light of the current public health emergency and anyone using the office space is required to comply with appropriate precautions to prevent the transmission of covid19 (physical distancing, face covering when distancing is not possible, handwashing/sanitizing, use of an air purification system, frequent office cleaning).
Equal Opportunity Policy:
Greater Ashmont Main Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal and state equal employment laws, equal opportunity will be afforded to all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, religious creed, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ex-offender status, prior psychiatric treatment, or military status. All interested applicants from traditionally disadvantaged groups are especially encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Forward cover letter & resume to Bryan Bryson, the Vice President of the Board of Directors, at firstname.lastname@example.org. He is coordinating the search for the Hiring Committee.
Applications received by Friday, December 11th will be reviewed together, and later applications on a rolling basis. Those invited to interview will be asked to submit a writing sample and references before their interview. We hope to fill this role before the end of December, but that is flexible as scheduling requires.
Please follow application directions when applying. Failure to do so will forfeit your application.