For more than 100 years, this Gospel rescue mission has served the Los Angeles Harbor area as a faith-based organization with a faith-based mission.
Beacon Light Mission seeks an experience full-time Executive Director for our 25-bed men’s shelter and 25-bed women’s shelter. (The women's shelter is called Doors of Hope.)
The Executive Director is responsible for the daily administration of the mission and has responsibility for the staff, volunteers, and guests of the mission. The Executive Director works within board policies for development, use of property/facilities, and human resources. The Executive Director must have a biblically based personal relationship with Jesus Christ, as well as affirming our Statement of Faith.
The Executive Director will advance the mission’s 2019 core strategies:
- To introduce people to Jesus Christ and to disciple them in life-changing faith, expecting God to do the impossible.
- To add more beds, so we no longer have to turn away men and women in our community.
- To leverage resources from other service providers to provide medical, life-skills, and mental health programs, so that those who are homeless can transition to self- sufficient lives.
- To raise visibility of Beacon Light Mission and Doors of Hope by educating the community, local leaders, churches, donors, and those who are homeless about Beacon Light’s services; and to build deeper relationships with them, so they will partner to support the mission spiritually, financially & with their good will.
Summary of Key Duties
- Board Work: Help set the vision of the organization. Carry out the Gospel focus. Run the mission according to board guidance. Assist Board President to prepare agenda for meetings, attend meetings, provide regular reports on operations and financial condition, be accountable to board for financial, operational, and spiritual condition of the mission. Present detailed plans for future opportunities.
- Administration: Manage and direct staff and volunteers; perform human resources functions, including recruiting, hiring, training, supervising, reviewing, handling disputes, firing employees. Assure compliance with policies and procedures. Update as needed.
- Development, Public Relations, and Community Relations: In cooperation with the board, strategize and carry out plans to generate revenue to meet the mission’s obligations and goals. Contact potential and existing donors and organizations, to make requests. Promote visibility of the mission in churches. Supervise regular public relations and media plans. Handle speaking engagements and media inquiries concerning the mission and the plight of the homeless.
- Finance/Building: In cooperation with the Finance Committee Chair, to prepare the annual budget and submit it to the board for approval. Approve and direct purchases and expenditures within the limits of the board-approved budget. Be knowledgeable of financial condition of the mission. Coordinate with local governments regarding safety, taxes and permits/variances.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
- Experience with nonprofit administration and management
- Experience in Christian ministry leadership
- Public relations and speaking experience on the topic of homelessness
- Experience in donor development (including foundations/grants)
- Experience ministering to homeless people
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Kent Meyer at: email@example.com
Or via snail mail:
Beacon Light Mission
Attn: Search Committee
525 Broad Ave
Wilmington, CA 90744