American Humane is seeking a self-disciplined, detail-oriented, organized, and pro-active individual with a high level of professionalism, integrity, sound judgment, and outstanding interpersonal skills to work as the Executive Coordinator in the Office of the President. This position is based at American Humane’s Palm Beach, FL office and reports directly to President & CEO.
American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation
The Executive Coordinator reports directly to the President & CEO acting as the CEO’s primary coordinator and liaison for internal and external relations. The Executive Coordinator assumes responsibility for providing administrative support, serving as gatekeeper, responding to requests, and collaborating on communications, events and relationship management activities and initiatives. The Executive Coordinator manages the CEO’s calendar and activities, including travel, meeting and event logistics, to ensure maximum efficiency and value of CEO time is achieved
- Handle administrative functions for the CEO including answering phones, scheduling meetings and appointments, making necessary preparations ahead of meetings/events, coordinating travel arrangements, preparing expense reports, processing monthly credit card statements, drafting/editing correspondence in the “CEO’s voice,” proofreading documents, coordinating internal and outgoing mail, creating and maintaining files, copying, etc.
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the CEO’s calendar and activities to ensure efficient utilization of CEO’s time in relation to meeting internal and external needs. Frequently required to make quick decisions and resolve scheduling conflicts using sound judgment to ensure that the CEO’s time is used to provide maximum value.
- Brief/update the CEO daily on upcoming meetings, events, travel and ongoing obligations.
- Coordinate travel logistics for extensive and complex domestic and international travel; proactively anticipating need and ensuring CEO is properly prepared.
- Manage and keep current the CEO’s extensive contact database.
- Monitor telephone activity within the Executive Office tactfully and diplomatically; provide preliminary information to internal and external callers as appropriate and redirect other inquiries and requests as needed.
- Assist with requests for vendor services and invoicing when applicable and process expense reimbursements in a timely fashion.
- Support the President & CEO in maintaining important relationships with donors, ambassadors, members of the board of directors and other key stakeholders.
- Participate in AH events and meetings when needed.
- Manage all incoming/outgoing correspondence from the Executive Office, including coordinating with the DC Office to track mail sent to headquarters office, handle acknowledgements from high-level donors.
- Respond to requests and assist staff in coordinating materials for trips, meetings, internal/external reports and presentations, projects and donor mailings.
- Liaise with the events and fundraising teams, taking the lead where appropriate, in planning and implementing logistics for large and small events. This will include things such as: site selection; vendor management; booking speaker and VIP guest travel, preparing nametags, collateral, guest lists, media packets, swag bags, etc.; day-of set-up, take-down and registration; rsvp tracking and managing guest preferences; and post-event follow-up.
- As needed, process donations in a timely manner and coordinate with fundraising team on data entry, follow-up mailings, etc.
- Assist as needed with logistics for board meetings, coordinating the legal team.
- Serve as a point of contact for board members with the Office of the President & CEO.
- Maintain a clean and inviting office environment at all times.
- Serve as lead point person for general office needs, including: deliveries, liaising with property management for things like maintenance requests, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Ensure ample supply of all AH fundraising and marketing materials are available, including: newsletters, impact reports, folders, stationary, various publications, and swag.
- Coordinate with the IT team to ensure office equipment, phone and network systems are properly maintained and functional
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 2 years administrative experience.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, juggle multiple tasks, organize time effectively, conduct research and identify resources for projects.
- Experience coordinating meetings and complex domestic and international travel.
- Must exude professionalism at all times and be able to approach people and situations with a positive demeanor, tact, diplomacy, discretion, confidentiality and a sense of urgency.
- High degree of motivation and self-discipline with a strong work ethic. Maintains a conscientious approach to work with the ability to meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs and be proactive to resolve issues.
- Ability to take initiative, act independently and direct one’s own work.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; outstanding grammar, proofreading and editing.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information within the Executive Office.
- Ability to focus on detail without losing sight of the bigger picture, including monitoring and double-checking work and information for accuracy and quality from start to finish.
- Commitment to providing high quality service through timely response to all requests.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Teams.
- Ability to quickly learn systems and processes specific to the department; Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based out of American Humane’s Palm Beach, FL office.
- Standard working office environment; must be o.k. working around animals, particularly dogs and cats.
- Significant local and domestic travel required.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Additional travel, including potential for international travel, will be required as needed.
- Preference to have valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle available to utilize for local (in and around Palm Beach) work travel.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability - Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability - Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.
How To Apply
To apply, please click here to submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.