This position will be based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania or Washington, D.C. FIRE operates on a hybrid work schedule that allows for a mix of in-the-office and remote work for eligible employees.
The Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending liberty, freedom of speech, due process, academic freedom, legal equality, and freedom of conscience for all Americans. Please visit thefire.org to gain a sense of our work and mission.
FIRE is seeking an Events Specialist to oversee the planning and execution of external events and to help set the long-term vision and strategy for this capability. The Events Specialist will report directly to FIRE’s Director of Strategic Partnerships while working closely with teams across the entire organization to plan, create, and execute a variety of events.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, coordinating, and executing events.
- Managing and overseeing the logistics for FIRE conferences and events including venues, vendor selection and management, registration, swag and materials, budgeting, metrics, and working with program leads to evaluate ROI.
- Identifying, sourcing, and managing relationships with vendors and venues in target areas.
- Assisting with program and speaker recommendations for events as needed.
- Representing FIRE at events as needed.
- Coordinating travel and lodging for external speakers as needed.
- Ensuring the confidentiality of all data, including sensitive information related to event guests, sponsors/donors, students, volunteers and staff.
- Managing event follow-up and feedback.
- Thinking creatively about new and different events that will help FIRE’s partnerships grow.
- Marketing events
- Collaborating with teams at FIRE to propose, create, and manage our inventory of resources, materials, signage, and swag for events to create a cohesive experience for attendees.
- Staying up to date with event trends and proposing new ideas for FIRE to implement.
- Managing the inventory for items related to conferences and external events.
- Collaborating on invitations and assisting with marketing events in a creative and targeted way to ensure quality attendance.
- Collaborating with the marketing team to create and maintain a public events page for our website.
- Managing FIRE’s Speakers Bureau
- Responding to all requests, collaborating with FIRE speakers to fill requests, and assisting with logistics as needed for these events.
- Identifying new opportunities to leverage FIRE speakers.
- Maintaining data and metrics related to speaking engagements.
- Performing administrative duties.
- Creating and managing an events calendar for FIRE staff.
- Ensuring timely payments for vendors.
- Assisting with budgeting for events and maintaining metrics to analyze the event’s effectiveness.
The expected start date for this position is as soon as possible.
This position involves a moderate amount of travel; approximately 25%. The employee will be expected to be present at the majority of FIRE’s events. Occasional work on weekends and evenings should be expected.
A successful candidate will be extremely detail-oriented and have a minimum of 2-4 years of experience planning a variety of events. The ability to envision, plan, and manage multiple events while remaining calm under pressure will be crucial. Experience with a nonprofit organization and with planning large-scale events is preferred.
A candidate must also be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of — and passion for — FIRE’s mission and the ability to create, plan and execute events that advance our mission.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- The ability to remain composed and work well under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- The ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience managing vendors and negotiating contracts.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changing situations.
- The ability to use discretion, work independently, and as part of a team.
- The ability to work with stakeholders and leadership, and to challenge and propose ideas.
- Comfort using or learning to use Salesforce, Cvent, and the Google Suite.
Salary and Compensation
Starting salary is negotiable and depends upon experience and education level. FIRE conducts periodic evaluations where employees may receive raises or bonuses for outstanding and excellent work. FIRE also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes employer-paid comprehensive health, dental, and life insurance; a Section 125 Flexible Spending Account option; matching retirement contributions; and a generous paid time-off plan.
Applicants should provide a resume and cover letter, a portfolio or materials showcasing previous planned events, salary requirements, and contact information for at least two professional references. All applications are confidential.
FIRE is an equal opportunity employer