American Humane seeks a highly motivated, detail-oriented, and experienced Event Coordinator with a high level of professionalism, integrity, and outstanding interpersonal skills. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the Director, Production & Partnerships.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Events Coordinator is a full-time position based in the Washington, DC office. The Events Coordinator will work closely with and report directly to the Director, Productions & Partnerships, who is based in the Los Angeles office. The position will be responsible for working with the events team to plan, promote and provide administrative support for events across the organization as needed. The Events Coordinator must possess a high standard of work, be able to operate easily in a fast-paced environment and exercise discretion when handling confidential information.
- Work closely with the Director, Productions & Partnerships to assist with coordinating DC-based and national organizational events, including but not limited to: Congressional briefings on Capitol Hill, launch events, cocktail events, donor cultivation events, galas, donor committee meetings and American Humane’s annual Hero Dog Awards gala hosted in Los Angeles, CA.
- Correspond regularly with potential donors to coordinate ticket sales, seating requests, and post-event follow up.
- Collect and manage RSVPs and donations for events as needed; keep guest lists organized and up to date while recording all ticket sales and donations.
- Request, collect, and appropriately track in-kind donations from local businesses for auctions, drawings, gift bags, etc., ensuring proper recognition is given to donors.
- Set up and assist with event logistics as assigned.
- Manage activities day of event including, but not limited to: registration, event space set-up, auction coordination, volunteers, vendor correspondence, meeting logistics, catering, and requests from both VIPs and sponsors.
- Coordinate with event vendors, maintain agreements, and work closely with accounting department to ensure invoices are paid.
- Provide post-event support by reporting and tracking event finances including check requests and donations as well as preparing follow-up communication with attendees.
- Participate in event related meetings and calls.
- Assist with all aspects of the Hero Dog Awards® campaign and related campaigns, such as the Hero Veterinarian and Hero Veterinary Nurse Awards including: social media campaign, website, corresponding with contestants, sponsor deliverables, and television production team deliverables.
- Work simultaneously with multiple departments including communications, accounting, legal, and development, ensuring deliverables and deadlines are met.
- Assist with responding to general event inquiries.
- In coordination with the development department, record donations, enter relevant event and/or donor data, and produce reports and mailing lists as needed.
- In coordination with the major gifts team, prepare thank you letters, and other event-related correspondence.
- Coordinate travel for AH staff, special guests and volunteers as needed.
- Participate in selected community outreach events as assigned to represent and raise awareness of American Humane.
- Process and submit event-related expenses in a timely manner.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum two to three years prior experience in an events coordinator role preferred.
- Proven experience coordinating all aspects of special events from start to finish (nonprofit special events, conferences, party planning, etc.) for small and large groups effectively.
- Exhibit outstanding interpersonal and communication skills over the phone, in -person, and in writing.
- Demonstrate high customer-service orientation, projecting a calm, warm, professional demeanor.
- Exercise high level of personal integrity and sound judgement.
- Handle confidential information with discretion.
- Strong administrative and computer skills; experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with donor database (Raiser’s Edge) preferred but not required.
- Excellent spelling and proofreading skills, especially to ensure accuracy of names and contact information. Ability to prepare nametags, lists, and coordinate media.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to effectively multitask and manage concurrent projects and responsibilities, ensuring deadlines are met.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Self-disciplined, action-oriented style with strong work ethic and ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position based at national headquarters office in Washington, DC.
- Work in office environment as well as external event venues; must be o.k. with occasional animals in the office and at events.
- Ability to transport, lift and carry supplies weighing up to 25 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Sit for extended periods;
- Stand for extended periods;
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods;
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone and in person
- Local travel will be required, may require use of personal vehicle.
- Some national travel is required.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
How To Apply
To apply, please complete the online application at: