Title: Engagement Associate
Reports to: Deputy Engagement Director
Direct Reports: None
Hours: Full-time, non-exempt
Location: Washington, DC strongly preferred (fully remote candidates who are willing to travel will be considered)
Led by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Giffords is a nonprofit organization whose team is on a mission to save lives from gun violence. Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking an Engagement Associate to join our team. The Engagement team builds strategic relationships with individuals, organizations and coalitions to advocate for gun violence prevention.
The Engagement Associate will assist the Engagement team in building and maintaining existing Giffords coalitions and expanding collaborations across a broad range of stakeholders and potential partners. This position requires candidates with excellent writing skills, attention to detail, commitment to teamwork, and willingness to work flexible hours.
This position requires ability and interest in traveling up to 20% and occasional weekend and evening events. This is a full-time position based in our Washington, DC office. This position will work a hybrid schedule, with one day a week in the office and four days a week remotely. All Giffords employees are expected to be up-to-date on COVID vaccinations, including boosters.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants, no phone calls or emails, please.
Duties + responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and facilitates programs, events, rallies, and meetings with coalition and grassroots partners.
- Writes and produces materials for advocates (for example member action alerts, reports, toolkits, webinars and other presentations, etc).
- Maintains all engagement interactions in an organizational database, performs data entry; plays a leading role in ensuring that supporter records and data are accurate and up to date.
- Tracks and analyzes the performance of Giffords advocacy initiatives, events and materials.
- Provides support for:
- The Courage Fellowship program, including recruitment, curriculum development, facilitation, providing support to alumni, etc.
- The survivor program, including outreach, training and advocacy opportunities.
- Coalition development, including building, organizing and developing coalitions in key states throughout the country.
- Engagement logistics, including internal and external meetings, public events, summits, conferences, etc.
- Engagement research, including all issue area initiatives.
- Performs administrative duties for the Engagement team such as scheduling meetings and events and coordinating visitor travel for coalition meetings and events.
- Provides logistical support for all Engagement meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Cultivates relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Monitors incoming engagement opportunities (on a state and national level) and works with the Engagement Team to develop and cultivate these relationships.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required skills + experience:
- One to two years of relevant part or full-time experience organizing or working in program advocacy roles (including internship or unpaid experience)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, excellent time management and attention to detail
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to be flexible
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work well on a team
- Curiosity and willingness to bring new ideas
- Commitment to ending America's gun violence epidemic through effective laws and regulations
- Commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and anti-racism
Valuable non required skills + experience:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Previous experience with database systems such as NGP, EveryAction, and Action Kit
- Experience working specifically on gun violence prevention
Salary + benefits
The salary range for this position is $48,000 - $52,000 with most candidates starting in the lower end of the range. This position is eligible for overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 in a week. Competitive benefits include employer-funded health, dental, and vision insurance; health, transit, and parking flexible spending accounts; 401k plan with up to 4% employer match, employer-paid TSA PreCheck; 25 days of PTO annually plus paid week off at the end of the year; and ten paid federal holidays.
Applying + the interview process
Submit your resume, a brief cover letter (400 words maximum) that outlines three specific ways that you would be a good fit for this position, and a relevant 1 to 3 page writing sample from a class or prior job. Our interview process for this position consists of a phone interview, a video interview, a skills assessment exercise, and reference checks.
Giffords is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an environment that celebrates diversity, equity and inclusion. People of color, trans individuals, gender non-conforming individuals, women, people with differing abilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Please apply here: https://giffords.applytojob.com/apply/1EYnZsckS1/Engagement-Associate