The Center for Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY) is the leading organization serving and representing people with disabilities in New York City. CIDNY's mission is the removal of barriers to the full integration of people with disabilities. CIDNY helps people with disabilities to gain the skills and obtain the services they need to live independently in the community and advocates for fair and effective policies that improve the quality of life for people with disabilities. CIDNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CIDNY is seeking a Benefits Counselor for a home-based application support services initiative that helps home-bound individuals with federal disability applications.
- Receive referrals and schedule home visits to assist participants with federal disability applications.
• Conduct a full interview and assessment of an individual’s documents as it relates to federal disability applications.
- Assist participants in obtaining documents from their medical providers.
- Assist the participant in attending medical examinations or appointments to obtain necessary medical documents.
- Collect all relevant documentation on the participant’s behalf and submit them, along with a completed federal disability application.
- If the application is denied, refer the applicant to the contracted legal agency for fair hearings.
- Ensures client and service data are current and accurate, and that they are documented in a timely manner into CIDNY’s and the contracted provider’s databases.
- Attends in-service trainings and unit meetings.
- Perform other program-related duties as assigned.
Education and Training:
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Human Services or related field, and three years of relevant and related work experience with State and/or federal benefits programs.
- Candidates should possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Individual must have time management skills to maintain individual outreaches, caseload, documentation, and administrative requirements;
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team;
- Must be computer literate on basic Microsoft Programs and Internet search use;
- Experience counseling individuals with disabilities preferred.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
- Respectful and comfortable with persons from different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
Temporarily remote due to COVID-19
Computer/Laptop, Phone, Printer/Copier
The Disability Benefits Counselor position will spend the majority of their work time in CIDNY’s New York, NY office. The work area is shared work spaced divided by cubicles. Verbal communication can be heard from other staff in adjoining cubicles.
Up to $48,000
We conform to all laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
Number of Employees Directly Supervised:
Director of Services
How To Apply
Please send a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Paige Munson, Director of Services at email@example.com. Do not send by fax. Please use the job title in the email’s subject line. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.