RFDC formed in 2016 as a philanthropic collaboration designed to respond to a spate of attempts by state policymakers and the courts to legalize the misuse of religious liberty claims in order to discriminate against the LGBTQ community; limit reproductive freedom; and impose a white Christian Nationalist worldview into law under the guise of religious freedom. RFDC grantees lead efforts to advance protections; disrupt and defeat repressive state measures; rally stakeholders; accelerate faith organizing in coordination with LGBTQ and reproductive justice movements; maintain the separation of church and state; and develop a unifying narrative that reclaims religious freedom as a progressive value. To these ends, the RFDC supports state-based, cross-movement work to combat religion’s weaponization and its harmful impact on LGBTQ equality, reproductive justice, and other rights, all in service of an inclusive, representative democracy.
Since 2008, RFDC has granted over $4 million and further supports its grantees as well as dozens of other groups and advocates through non-grantmaking programming. Our annual grantmaking budget is approximately $2.25 million.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Program Director reports to the Proteus Fund Vice President of Programs (VPP). Critically, they work with funding partners, both foundations and individual donors, to rally philanthropic support for the cutting-edge issues addressed by the Collaborative. They are responsible for working closely with RFDC grantees and potential grantees as well as the broader field to support a wide range of innovative and effective work to advance RFDC’s objectives. They work closely with funder partners as a group to keep them updated on key issues in the field; as well as on key philanthropic developments relating to the work; and work collaboratively with them to shape strategy for the work of the collaborative.
They also manage and provide strategic vision, direction, and management for the RFDC team, which includes a development consultant and a program consultant. They are a part of the Senior Program Team which includes among others the Program Directors of Proteus Fund’s other donor collaboratives who meet regularly to develop strong grant making and field support practices, and exchange ideas on advancing social justice in their respective fields. They also work regularly with all of the departments and units at Proteus Fund, including Grants Management, Donor Services, Finance, and Operations.
The ideal candidate is an inclusive, self-motivated leader and doer who is rooted in movement building, deeply passionate about reproductive justice, queer rights, and religious freedom, and a stellar fundraiser. Critically, they will have real enthusiasm for organizing donors to understand and support RFDC’s cutting edge work. They understand state-based community organizing and coalitions and are driven by meaningful, trusting, and authentic relationships. They thrive in an intersectional space, building bridges, and bringing diverse coalitions together. They enjoy the external work, being out in the field interacting with community organizers, philanthropic leaders, and peer leaders in the space.
Program Strategy and Implementation
- Working with RFDC consultants, and Proteus Fund’s Vice President of Programs, develop and implement a philanthropic and grantmaking vision and strategy that supports clear progress toward achievement of the program’s goals and objectives.
- Craft non-grantmaking programming and technical assistance opportunities to further bolster the work of grantees and social justice field partners.
- Represent RFDC in various philanthropic and movement settings through public speaking, panel moderation, conferences and meetings, media contacts, etc.
- Oversee annual program and budget planning process with RFDC team, Proteus Fund VPP, CFO and other key Proteus Fund staff.
- Partner with and prepare Proteus’ President and CEO to share RFDC’s work with key stakeholders including funders and Proteus’ Board of Directors.
- Build and maintain expertise on the substance, dynamics, and priorities within the LBGTQ, reproductive justice, and progressive faith movements.
Grantmaking Strategy and Management
- Create a dynamic grantmaking program to achieve the goals and objectives of RFDC including maintaining expertise on trust based grantmaking practices in c3 and c4 environments.
- With the Grants Management unit, manage entire grants process from inquiry and application through to grant awards and post-award communications with grantees.
- Evaluate proposals, including budgets, supporting materials and viability and impact of proposed work. Make funding recommendations to RFDC donor partners, Proteus Fund President and Proteus Fund Board for regular docket, rapid response and convening grants.
- Oversee all formal funding recommendations to RFDC donor members for semiannual docket meetings, as well as out of cycle grants.
- Oversee all aspects of bi-annual RFDC donor partner meetings, including educational as well as docket components.
- Advise aligned funders to help inform them about needs and investments in new areas that emerge, especially in ways consistent with and supportive of RFDC strategies and tactics.
Development – Donor Stewardship and Partner Cultivation
- With oversight from the VPP and support from the fundraising consultant, develop and execute RFDC’s annual fundraising plan to maintain RFDC’s financial viability and enhance RFDC growth and impact.
- Take a visible leadership role in all fundraising and donor mobilization efforts, including executing high level donor meetings as well as other development-oriented speaking and presentation opportunities.
- Develop and execute strategy for donor cultivation, including gatherings of prospective donors, periodic funder briefings, etc. in order to share highlights of the RFDC’s work and that of the fields it supports.
- With support of the fundraising consultant, provide written and verbal evaluations and reports on grantmaking and other programmatic work to RFDC donors
- Attend relevant convenings of the philanthropic community to develop and strengthen relationships with other grantmakers, and to educate, and engage the larger funding community around RFDC’s work.
- In conjunction with the RFDC team and Proteus Fund teams, work to increase RFDC visibility, “voice” and leadership both in the philanthropy world and more generally via appropriate communications channels, such as op-eds, blogs, social media, alerts, updates, conferences, and other events.
- With VPP and Proteus Fund Communications team, develop and regularly update RFDC materials, including the website, Proteus Fund newsletters and grantmaking reports, engagement tools, etc.
- In conjunction with Proteus Fund Senior program team, integrate RFDC communications goals, objectives, and messaging into Proteus-wide communications and vice versa.
- In collaboration with the Vice President of Programs and the Chief Financial Officer, create and monitor the annual budget for RFDC, including monitoring and evaluating grantmaking budgets, all other program and operating expenses, and cash flow.
- Mentor, and provide direction to the RFDC team, including managing workload, problem resolution, and consulting performance. Retain, orient and train new RFDC consultants.
- Build and maintain an effective RFDC team that that is connected and committed to the work of RFDC and Proteus Fund.
- Commitment to the mission and values of Proteus Fund as a progressive social justice organization, including our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusiveness, and belonging.
- Significant knowledge of movements to promote and advance a representative democracy in the United States and democratic institutions. High level of knowledge of racial, gender, queer, and disability justice.
- Senior level management experience, including overseeing external consultants and supervising staff.
- Very strong development experience and enthusiasm working with foundations and high net worth individual donors.
- Strong written, verbal, and related presentation and advocacy communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills in building and managing an effective team in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment.
- High professional, performance, and ethical standards
- Good problem-solving instincts.
- Attention to detail and a high degree of personal organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of program budget creation and management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and other applications of similar complexity.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Ten + years of experience in a relevant nonprofit setting.
- Senior level management experience specifically with program development and/or grantmaking.
- Significant development experience and very high level of comfort working with foundations and individual donors.
- Significant experience creating and managing budgets, cash flow, etc.
- Experience in program evaluation.
- We value candidates who can demonstrate capability and articulate how prior experiences will help them transition into this role
The Program Director manages RFDC consultants.
POSITION TYPE & EXPECTED WORK HOURS
This is a full-time 40 hours per week position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday. Proteus business hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. Some weekend and evening hours may occasionally be required.
20% domestic travel
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Proteus Fund, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Proteus requires its colleagues who are working in an office setting or who will be required to travel as part of their key responsibilities to be fully (3 shots) vaccinated against COVID-19. Where an employee has a medical or bona fide religious reason which prevents them from receiving the COVID-19 vaccine, Proteus will consider accommodations which may allow employees to safely perform the essential functions of their job.
How To Apply