The Director of the Intercultural Center reports to the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion and is responsible for the day-to-day leadership and operations of the Intercultural Center. The Director facilitates a positive experience from matriculation through graduation for students who identify as multicultural, international, LGBTQIA+, and other marginalized identities. This role is also responsible for collaborating with students, faculty, and staff to promote a positive co-curricular experience that will impact student success and a sense of belonging. The Director, through a collaborative approach with the Intercultural Center staff and other members of the Whitman College community, will provide programming that promotes inclusion.
- Student-Centered Approach
- Analytical, Strategic, and Visionary Thinking
- Management Experience
- Persuasive Communication
- Decisive Decision Making
Scope of Responsibility:
- Provide leadership to the Intercultural Center and ensure the delivery of programming, resources, and services that are responsive to the changing needs of our marginalized populations.
- Provide oversight for all aspects of the center, including budgeting, supervision, mentoring, coaching, and evaluation of staff members, team building, and communication with college leadership.
- Represent Intercultural Center and the Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion on institutional committees regarding a broad range of issues.
- Lead in developing a culture and climate that promotes an environment supportive of a diverse population.
Advocacy, Outreach, and Training
- Collaborate with community partners to implement and coordinate initiatives which enhance the persistence and retention of underrepresented, international, LGBTQIA+, and other marginalized students.
- Determine needs and opportunities for improved skill development in the areas of cultural competence and inclusive practice across students, faculty, and staff.
- Responsible for designing and implementing campus-wide education and training opportunities related to cultural competency for various constituencies, including faculty, staff, community members, and students.
- Builds and fosters vital relationships with colleagues across the campus.
- Provide one-on-one advising, support to students experiencing academic or personal difficulties. Assist students in becoming more connected to Whitman College resources.
Assessment and Administrative
- Establish data-driven programmatic goals and benchmarks that center student learning as it relates to building community, accessing resources, and building capacity around diversity, equity & inclusion.
- Establish assessment protocols for the Intercultural Center’s programs and initiatives in alignment with Whitman College’s strategic priorities. Identify procedures for collecting and producing data that measures success (both programmatic and student).
- Provide regular reports on progress toward the Intercultural Centers goals, including quarterly and year-end reports.
- Provide annual assessments of the Intercultural Center staff and perform departmental needs assessments to identify financial and staffing needs.
- A Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree preferred).
- Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in higher education or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of management experience.
- Experience working with Multicultural, International, and other marginalized identities.
- Experience working with college students in a programmatic and advisory capacity.
- Experience facilitating on issues of diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships.
- Experience with developing and implementing goals, learning outcomes, and assessment program.
How To Apply
To apply please click https://whitmanhr.simplehire.com