JOB TITLE: Director of Marketing and Communications STATUS: Full Time
FLSA STATUS: Exempt CUSTOMARY HOURS: 9a – 5p
HOURS/WEEK: 40 DIVISION: St. Vincent de Paul Center
DEPARTMENT: Development DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Chief Development Officer
As stewards of the Vincentian spirit, employees of Marillac St. Vincent Family Services are committed to strengthening and empowering those most in need to reach their greatest potential. We fulfill our mission through quality programs for children, teens, families, seniors and homeless.
Our employees commit themselves as individuals to live out the core values of integrity, excellence, creativity, advocacy, respect, and empowerment in our daily work, as we serve the needs of others.
Integrity - Acting with transparency, humility, and honesty
Excellence - Providing quality care with compassion
Creativity - Being continuously resourceful and inventive
Advocacy - Supporting the cause of those who lack resources for a reasonable quality of life
Respect - Recognizing our own values and upholding the dignity and value of all people
Empowerment - Providing skills and resources to achieve full human development
- Versatility – Understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue; adapting one’s approach as the requirements of the situation change; an eagerness for positive action; self-control; active listening.
- A collaborative work model – Cooperatively working and sharing responsibility; contributing to the group effort; realizing a sense of commitment and ownership in the success of the organization’s goals.
- Mutual accountability – Holds others accountable for their roles; provides and receives feedback and takes constructive action.
- Client/customer advocate – Identifies opportunities to improve quality of services; presents one’s self professionally.
- Protects confidentiality & privacy – Respects and protects information about all staff and clients.
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Chief Development Officer (CDO). The Director of Marketing will lead the organization’s overall brand strategy, organizational messaging, research-based marketing strategies, and integrated marketing communications plans to reach the communities we serve and to amplify the impact of our work throughout the city of Chicago, including the Marillac St. Vincent community, donors, donor prospects and community partners.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an external marketing and communications strategy that is mission-focused, goal-oriented, outcome-based and in alignment with organization strategic plan, with a focus on integrating Trauma Informed Care (TIC) and Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) practices throughout all departments.
- Develop a marketing and communications strategy that supports the Development team’s fundraising plan.
- Develop a marketing and communications strategy for key stakeholders (Boards, corporate funders, institutional partners).
- Align with leadership and development team to create a holistic marketing strategy for promoting donor-funded programs that include but are not limited to campaigns, appeals, special events, etc.
- Develop benchmarks, milestones, and measures of success in relation to the marketing and communications strategy. Maintains and updates these qualitative and quantitative measurements on a regular basis.
- Build out each segment of donor treatment.
Implementation and Project Management
- Develop key messaging and language (in conjunction with CEO, CDO, and program departments) for the organization.
- Oversee the brand guidelines and ensure its adherence across all internal and external marketing materials to ensure consistency.
- Oversee template materials development for events, presentations, onboarding, toolkits, etc.
- Provide design strategy across external and internal materials (newsletters, social media, emails, etc.)
- Manage communications calendar, including online, print, and social media projects.
- Oversee website, social media accounts, email marketing platform, and other organization assets.
- Create or manage the creation of our Annual Report.
- Manage External Resources (Agency, Freelance Writers and Designers).
- Manage marketing projects and ensure effectiveness, timeliness, and alignment with the organization’s mission and strategic plan.
- Develop and implement all donor facing communications and campaigns (email, social media, videos, etc).
- Mange the mass fundraising portfolio.
Leadership and Management
- Detailed and effective project management of marketing, communication, and PR campaigns.
- Align with the CDO and CEO to ensure effectiveness of communications and processes across different departments.
- Help to promote MSV culture by focusing on the continual integration of TIC and IDEA.
- Work with internal staff to coach and train for media representation.
- Work with Development team to analyze available data to make data-informed decisions across the organization, especially in fundraising.
Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree/MBA in Marketing, Integrated Marketing & Communications or equivalent preferred. Minimum of 7 - 10 years of work experience in one or more of the following areas: marketing/communications, public relations, or fundraising experience with a range of online and written communications, including print, digital, web content and social media.
Excellent writing and interpersonal skills with ability to multitask and/or delegate. High emotional intelligence with strong organizational and project management skills. Experience in building networks amongst stakeholders and supporters of a nonprofit or organization. Proficient in using Microsoft Office products, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and email marketing software. Proficient knowledge of Google Analytics, XHTML, CSS, SEO, CMS, FTP. Experience using Blackbaud products (Just Giving and Raiser’s Edge). Must have the ability to represent and effectively communicate the vision and mission. Ability to effectively represent the mission is required.