Serving as the senior communications and marketing expert in building the brand, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing integrated marketing and public relations campaigns for the museum. Working with the CEO, department heads, peer staff, volunteers, and board members, the Director will be responsible for all marketing and communications related to exhibitions, educational programs, events, community and development initiatives, and other outreach efforts to increase public understanding of and support for the Museum’s mission and goals.
The Director of Marketing and Communications leads the marketing team in three key areas: Marketing and Public Relations, Project Management and Oversight and Internal/External Communications.
- Marketing & PR
- Continue to build upon the NBMAA brand through innovative strategies that help provide a foundation for fundraising, graphic design, and social media marketing.
- Oversee visitor research and audience segmentation strategies, analyzing data and making/implementing recommendations for an engaged audience, servicing visitor needs, and optimizing ongoing growth.
- Develop, implement, and manage a proactive and comprehensive program of media, public relations, and marketing strategies that generates positive press and publicity for and generally advances the Museum.
- Build awareness of and participation by diverse audiences in its programs, exhibitions and initiatives.
- Develop strategies to strengthen the Museum’s relations with key constituencies and diverse audiences and to heighten local presence and the national visibility of the Museum.
- Create marketing campaigns, media relations, print and online advertising, graphic design, social media and digital marketing.
- Build/maintain effective working relationships with journalists, influencers, and members of the news media, and creating powerful original content that delivers results through fresh storytelling.
- Management & Oversight
- Manage department of two staff: Marketing/Social Media Coordinator and Graphic Designer.
- Develop and manage the marketing and communications budget.
- Measure, review and report on the progress of marketing and communications plans and projects.
- Manage and oversee workflow and prioritizes assignments/projects to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Maintain company public relations, photos, videos, and print archives.
- Train, develop and mentor staff; conduct performance evaluations.
- Work collaboratively with Curatorial, Digital, Education, and Retail teams to develop and manage an integrated plan of programs, marketing, promotion events and services that will enhance the image, increase and diversify attendance and support, and improve visitor satisfaction.
- Collaborate with staff and offices to conceptualize and direct enhanced special events, promotional and partnership programming.
- Brief the director and senior management team to ensure they are fully communicated with and informed on all communications & marketing campaigns for the museum.
- Work with staff to write, proof, edit, and market the museum and its programs for the museum's website, social media, and printed publications.
- Ensure that all external communications are accurate, persuasive, and consistent with the brand's voice.
- Adhere to stringent brand guidelines when required but push creative boundaries when needed.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities):
- 7-10 years marketing experience, with at least 1-2 years graphic design experience;
- Experience developing integrated marketing campaigns with measurable results;
- Familiar with Adobe Creative Cloud, web development tools and CMS platforms;
- Advertising campaign and social media campaign management and measurement experience;
- Google Analytics experience;
- Ability to develop and maintain professional networks with representatives from a variety of media including the press, television, radio and magazines;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven leadership skills and ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects;
- Ability to recruit, train, motivate and manage staff;
- Appreciation for art a plus;
- BS/BA or equivalent experience.
How To Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.
All applicants are subject to a criminal background check prior to employment.