Position: Director of Major Gifts
Reports to: Senior Director of Development
The Director of Major Gifts is responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a portfolio of prospective and current donors for our major donor and planned giving programs.
- Thoroughly understand AAJ, its mission and policies, culture, values, volunteer and membership structure, programs and finances;
- Oversee the implementation, management and monitoring of the major donor and planned giving programs;
- Create and implement annual plans to reach short-term and long-term financial objectives for major gifts and planned giving;
- Develop and manage a prospect management system to ensure a consistent and strategic approach to top prospects;
- Manage the involvement of the Chief Executive Officer, President, the Executive Committee, and other volunteer leaders in the development program;
- Develop and enforce the highest quality standards in all cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials;
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social and community trends that impact AAJ.
Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher;
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in sales, marketing or development with 5 years of substantive fundraising experience with a track record of outstanding performance and proven success in previous fundraising positions;
- Experience with managing a successful major donor and planned giving program;
- Demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships with potential donors;
- Experience in developing and maintaining strong and positive relationships with volunteer leaders, and in creating structures that support their active involvement in fundraising;
- Exceptional organizational and analytic skills;
- Ability to travel 25%.
Other Related Skills
- A strategist who is adept at planning, organizing and following through;
- An independent worker and self-starter;
- Superior oral and written communication skills, as well as proven public speaking skills and the ability to write outstanding grant proposals;
- A facilitator, collaborator, and coordinator with outstanding leadership abilities and interpersonal skills and an excellent problem-solver;
- An individual with credibility, good judgment, honesty, integrity, trust, and the ability to motivate others in a similar vein;
- Team-focused—must enjoy and be successful at working on teams and able to roll up one’s sleeves and make things happen as an individual; and
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, self-confidence and flexibility.
How To Apply
For more information about AAJ, visit our website: www.justice.org. Please email a resume and cover letter to HR@justice.org or fax to 202.333.2861. The mailing address is American Association for Justice, 777 6th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20001. EOE