The Director is tasked with providing overall leadership, management and direction to EDC’s Legal Assistance Program to ensure high quality intake and referral processes, legal advocacy and representation. EDC often works with impacted-community member-led organizations and regularly works in coalition with grassroots and community-based organizations on public education and community engagement strategies. The Director is a member of the Senior Management team, aiding in the management, planning, coordination, and implementation of organization-wide policies and procedures.
First and foremost, the applicant must profoundly share EDC’s mission and vision of social justice and be able to manage stressful situations with empathy and calm. Below are additional qualifications.
● Active membership in the California State Bar
● Minimum of ten (10) years’ legal practice experience with unlawful detainers
● Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as lead counsel litigating unlawful detainer cases, preferably in San Francisco Superior Court
● Experience working within a litigation team providing holistic legal services
● Experience litigating affirmative cases
● Superior oral, written communication and editing skills
● Commitment to a flexible, comprehensive view of representation on behalf of low income people that values both individual and systemic advocacy
● Ability to identify and respond to shifting trends in legal practice and policies affecting the poor
● Significant experience leading non-litigation advocacy efforts (e.g., organizing, social media, etc.)
● Previous experience leading collaborative programs involving legal services organizations,
community based organizations, the court, and/or other government agencies
● Experience testifying before and working with local, state or national governmental bodies
● Experience in writing legislation
● Experience participating and presenting at local, regional, and national conferences
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally-sensitive and empathetic services. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
• Competitive salary based on experience
• Health, Dental, Vision
• Short Term and Long Term Disability
• PTO and sick time accruals
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We are strongly committed to diversity and encourage applications from people who can contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The Eviction Defense Collaborative believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line "Director of Litigation & Policy"