TeamChild is a nationally recognized nonprofit legal aid organization serving youth across Washington State, with office locations in Seattle, Tacoma, Yakima and Spokane. TeamChild’s mission is to uphold the rights of youth involved, or at risk of involvement, in the juvenile justice system to help them secure the education, healthcare, housing and other support they need to achieve positive outcomes in their lives. We have three mutually reinforcing program strategies: legal services, policy advocacy, and training and community education. Core to all of our work is our legal services program, which reaches youth 12-24 years old in four of Washington’s largest counties as well as youth incarcerated in our state’s juvenile prison and community facilities. Our clients are youth and young adults who are entangled in juvenile court and the child welfare system and need civil legal advocacy to prevent homelessness, access education and employment and get their basic health and other needs met. In our work, we also aim to move systems away from exclusion, punishment, arrest, and incarceration towards more effective and community-based strategies that address root causes and provide culturally meaningful and developmentally appropriate support and opportunities for young people.
At TeamChild we believe that racial and other social identities should be respected and affirmed. In support of this belief, we are trying to build an equitable and inclusive organization and providing our team of staff, volunteers and Board members with the tools to address institutionalized racism and other forms of oppression. All members of our team are responsible for providing and supporting an equitable and inclusive work environment that will enrich our interactions with each other and our products and services. This responsibility provides the foundation for empowering the children and families that we serve so their needs are justly represented and their desires amply fulfilled.
TeamChild seeks a passionate and talented Director of Investments & Partnerships to lead and build its fundraising program during one of the most dynamic times in the organization’s 20-year history. TeamChild seeks an experienced development professional with a deep commitment to values-based fundraising who can build and galvanize investments and steward a diverse, engaged donor community. Specific goals include growing individual private investments to $500k annually and foundation and corporate gifts to $500K; building and maintaining a major gift caseload of 50-75 investors at a $25K-$100K capacity; mobilizing TeamChild’s Board of Directors and its Investments & Partnerships Committee; and creating the organization’s systems and structures to scale up our efforts. We seek an individual who can build an inspiring development program that is intentionally grounded in TeamChild’s values, principles, and commitment to dismantling institutional racism and inequity.
TeamChild has adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic by having employees work remotely from home. We continue to provide important legal aid and advocacy to the young people and communities we serve. Like all organizations, we are adapting to social distancing and remote collaboration and supervision.
TeamChild has a history of strong revenue streams that have grown our budget to $3 million in 20 years. The Director of Investments & Partnerships position requires someone who will not be intimidated by volatile economic and funding environments. We recognize that the future may hold some challenges, but we also see funding opportunities related to the pandemic.
Note that we will adapt our hiring process as needed to keep employees and candidates safe.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Fund Development Planning, Strategy and Implementation: Design, implement, and track a robust and diversified fund development plan intended to grow TeamChild’s philanthropic revenue to raise approximately $500K from individuals annually and $500K from foundations and sponsorships. Strategically develop and oversee all fundraising efforts, donor communications, and special events statewide. Direct program and communications staff to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals, and asks that will be used to secure investments. Create monthly reports for management and board that accurately reflect investments activity and performance. Work with the Executive Director to develop overall revenue picture, including strategies for public funding at the state and local level.
Major Gifts: Develop and maintain a major donor portfolio of 50-75 donors with giving capacity ranging between $25K-100K. Build strong relationships with donors and collaborate with the Executive Director and members of the Board to build a solid and sustainable pipeline and personally solicit major gifts. Regularly conduct face-to face meetings with donors, institutional funders, and other key stakeholders. Create and execute plans for each investor to serve as the foundation for communication, stewardship, and retention.
Grants: Cultivate, write, and submit grants and proposals to funders (mostly private, some public) to secure flexible and project-based revenue for TeamChild’s mission and work. Work with leadership team and program staff to determine funding priorities with transparency and collaboration. Track and update submission deadlines and reporting requirements, and work with relevant staff to ensure compliance and communication to funders.
Leadership and Collaboration: Lead, develop, and supervise a two-person Investments & Communications team. Work closely with the organization’s Finance team, which includes its Director of Finance, Operations & Contract Manager, and Bookkeeper. Engender a healthy and collaborative fundraising culture across the organization that aligns with and advances the mission, goals, and values of the organization and its anti-racism and equity work. Work closely with the Board of Directors and its Investments & Partnerships Committee to develop and execute thoughtful fundraising strategies and support them in their role as ambassadors and fundraisers in the community. Provide support for staff professional development in the areas of investments and communications. Build processes for transparency and collaboration with staff and board around fundraising.
The Director of Investments & Partnerships will report to the Executive Director and be part of TeamChild’s Executive Team consisting of the Community Engagement & Anti-Racism Director, Director of Legal Services and the Director of Finance & Administration.
IDEAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must have a personal passion for and/or a connection to the social justice mission, vision, and values of TeamChild
- A minimum of 5 years of non-profit fund development and experience in a leadership or manager/supervisor role. Directly equivalent work/lived experience will be considered.
- Values and models a collaborative style of teamwork and the professional development of direct reports
- Experience growing a major gifts program and soliciting major gifts face-to-face at $25K level or higher
- Experience creating innovative donor engagement and solicitation strategies to grow a fundraising program and increase unrestricted contributed revenue
- Proven ability to be the face of and network for a mission-based organization at external events and meetings; develop new beneficial relationships, and maintain and build on the relationships the organization already has established
- Experience working closely with a Board of Directors, mobilizing them in their role in donor relations, and leveraging their strengths and their networks
- Experience overseeing budgets and tracking outcomes for success
- Strong leadership skills in a cross-cultural environment; ability to work effectively and collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders, staff, and a diverse range of communities across the state.
- Commitment to advancing personal and organizational racial equity and undoing institutional racism
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write persuasively in clear and concise language, and the ability to speak with enthusiasm to diverse audiences.
- Expertise in communications and marketing; ability to manage communication across all platforms, including email and social media
- Flexible, positive work style conducive to efficiently managing multiple tasks, meeting deadlines, and anticipating changing needs in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, mail and marketing software (experience with Constant Contact a plus), and donor database software (experience with DonorPerfect a plus).
How To Apply
Before submitting your application, please check TeamChild’s website (teamchild.org/careers) to make sure that this position is still open. Please email a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. Please write "Director of Investments & Partnerships" and your last name in the subject line and let us know where you heard about the position in your letter of interest. No phone calls or email inquiries please.
The position will remain open until filled. We will communicate regularly with candidates if we experience any delays.