ABOUT SAVE THE BAY
Since 1961, Save The Bay’s leadership team has taken inspiration from our three courageous founders, Sylvia McLaughlin, Kay Kerr and Esther Gulick. Their bravery and determination have served as a guide in expanding the scope of Save The Bay’s programming, from preventing Bay fill to restoring wetlands, reducing pollution, and educating future generations of Bay stewards.
Year after year, Save The Bay pushes itself to confront major challenges—such as climate change and sea level rise—in collaborative and groundbreaking ways. Save The Bay has given San Francisco Bay a voice for more than half a century, mobilizing thousands of area residents to protect and restore the Bay for future generations.
In this era of climate change and a growing population, Save The Bay works with scientists and policymakers to protect the Bay, an essential natural resource to our environment, economy, and quality of life. Save The Bay’s primary activities include educating, protecting, and restoring wetlands and preventing pollution by working with local cities to clean up roads and limit or ban the use of harmful products.
For more information, please visit https://savesfbay.org.
The Director of Individual Giving will be responsible for managing the individual giving program for Save The Bay, including strategy and portfolio management for its $15M capacity campaign, currently in the quiet phase. This is an exciting time for the organization. This individual will play a critical role in developing innovative fundraising strategies, working collaboratively with teams to implement, and advancing efforts to sustain a trustworthy, meaningful, and inclusive philanthropic culture with donors. The ideal candidate must have proven interpersonal, decision-making, written and verbal communications and mentorship skills. Management of or integral participation in a team working on a capital or other large fundraising campaigns is required.
The Director of Individual Giving reports to the Chief Advancement Officer and works directly with the Executive Director to cultivate and solicit major gifts. The position will oversee two Major Gifts Officers and will hire an Annual Giving Coordinator. This is a remote-based position, with occasional need for in-person team meetings at Save The Bay’s downtown Oakland office, as all organization staff work from home.
- Design and implement innovative fundraising plans to cultivate, solicit and steward gifts at all giving levels, supporting the capacity campaign and individual contributions.
- Manage staff, Board and other volunteers in the creation of strategy for donor/prospect portfolios.
- Play a lead role in managing, organizing and implementing Save The Bay’s capacity campaign.
- Work with the Executive Director, Chief Advancement Officer, and members of the Board of Trustees to carefully strategize, assign, and solicit campaign asks.
- Collaboratively develop moves management plans that engage donors in meaningful conversations and connections that ultimately inspire them to give, increase giving or get involved.
- Manage multi-faceted fundraising campaigns for the C3 and C4 entities of the organization.
- Lead and produce in-person and virtual engagement opportunities that connect donors directly to our work and people – this includes shoreline tours, hands-on restoration opportunities, house events, legacy luncheons and more.
- Collaborate with the Senior Major Gifts Officer to promote and execute planned giving initiatives.
- Curate and create compelling content in collaboration with the programs and communications teams for direct mail, special appeals, digital and other campaigns.
- Develop internal dashboards for Board, staff and campaign volunteers to track fundraising progress and results.
- Utilize wealth screening information, other research, and networks of existing donors to qualify prospective donors and move into staff portfolios.
- Conduct a quarterly review of donor portfolio assignments and provide recommendations on strategy modifications based on the needs and sensitivities of the donors.
- Plan and implement all campaign and major donor cultivation and appreciation events and activities.
- Develop and implement a transition plan for post-capacity campaign phase to support the ongoing major gift activity of Save The Bay
Supervisory & Administrative
- Supervise, nurture and support three key positions supporting philanthropy from individuals: Senior Major Gifts Officer, Major Gifts Officer, Annual Giving Coordinator
- Support direct reports’ professional growth and achievement of organizational and career goals.
- Assist in developing annual budget projections, reforecasting and reconciliation during quarter close and year-end.
- Manage vendor relationships and contracts for individual giving initiatives and programs.
- Work to support Save The Bay’s goals and efforts in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum eight years fundraising experience, with five or more in campaign management and major gifts
- Excellent leadership, management, organizational, project management, analytical, and entrepreneurial skills
- Demonstrated track record of prospect/donor portfolio management and direct solicitation of major gifts
- Demonstrated experience partnering with and managing high-level volunteers and donors
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills
- Experience designing and implementing fundraising plans
- Familiarity with San Francisco Bay Area donor population who may be aligned with Save The Bay’s mission
- Demonstrated initiative, discipline, and ability to perform under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Event management experience
- Proficiency with information technology and moves management functionality; Salesforce experience preferred
- Has the ability to work effectively across cultures and demonstrates a commitment to learning, communicating, and working respectfully with people who are different from themselves
- Passion for and dedication to the mission, vision, values, and philosophies of Save The Bay
Save The Bay’s COVID-19 Prevention Program requires all staff to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
SALARY OR SALARY RANGE
The salary range for this position is $125,000 to $145,000 plus benefits, which includes medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and life insurance; paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick time; 403(b) matching retirement plan.
To demonstrate our commitment to equity and equal pay for all, Cook Silverman Search will continue to post salary ranges on all of its job descriptions moving forward. The practice of not posting salaries perpetuates the gender wage gap and discriminates against people of color by causing individuals to negotiate from a disadvantaged starting point.
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
Save The Bay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com