About the JCCSF:
The Jewish Community Center of San Francisco is the oldest Jewish center on the West Coast, providing educational, social, cultural and fitness programs to the community since 1877. Open to all, JCCSF programs and services include a 45,000 square-foot Fitness Center, world-class performances and lectures, three outstanding preschools, dance, music, ceramics and art classes for adults, Jewish education classes and workshops, holiday celebrations and more!
About the position:
The Jewish Community Center of San Francisco (JCCSF) has an immediate opening for a full-time Director of Early Childhood Education to oversee three San Francisco preschools at the JCCSF; one on-site at our main location and the other two off-site.
The Director of Early Childhood Education is responsible for oversight of the strategic direction of the JCCSF’s ECE program, for managing the operations of three preschool sites serving 390 students, and for managing a $6 million-dollar budget. Our preschools are inspired by the principles of the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education and are guided by Jewish values and culture.
The JCCSF ECE program is recognized as the preeminent preschool provider in San Francisco. Our program is a community-wide model of warm, nurturing, joyfully Jewish and delightful early childhood experiences, professional development and active family engagement, while also being recognized for its educational excellence, Jewish content, and leadership within the field.
- The Director of Early Childhood Education is responsible for building and supporting a community of staff and families who work together to create an exceptional ECE program.
- Embodies a commitment to consistent educational excellence and a deep integration of Jewish values in ECE curriculum and experiences for child and their families.
- Is strongly aligned with organizational goals and initiatives. Cultivates a culture of collaboration and integration between ECE programs and experiences and the greater JCCSF organization.
- Develops and provides support and structures that allow for continual staff growth, innovation and accountability.
- Hire, supervise, support, and mentor the Site Directors and Administrators. Ensure that professional staff members meet the needs and expectations of their roles. Ensure that employees in these roles understand the expectations for their positions and are evaluated and mentored in order to be successful.
- Participate in the hiring and placement of all teachers. Ensure that clear standards are established for qualifications and ongoing staff development, evaluation, and coaching.
- Develop and manage the department budget and monitor financial performance to meet or exceed performance goals.
- Partner with JCCSF communications staff to ensure that all communication channels are clear and effective.
- Evaluate, update, and manage the ECE admissions and kindergarten acceptance process.
- Evaluate strategic direction and opportunities for the ECE program and share perspectives with the JCCSF’s executive leadership.
- Maintain a clear and consistent educational philosophy that is in alignment with organizational goals.
- Work in partnership with the Jewish education staff of the JCCSF to develop a clear and consistent Jewish content plan that is a part of the core curriculum and is in alignment with the core educational philosophy of the JCCSF.
- Proactively assess ECE trends, community needs, and opportunities.
- Ensure ongoing training and development of ECE teachers and administrators.
- Develop metrics to monitor the ongoing health of the ECE program (quality, student and teacher retention, kindergarten acceptance, admissions, parent surveys, etc.).
Internal Team Building:
- Lead and maintain an ECE Leadership Team that includes Site Directors, ECE Jewish Educator, and teachers and specialists (as appropriate).
- Create an environment that recognizes the importance of collaboration, experience, and knowledge between classrooms, schools and the JCCSF as a whole.
- Model, develop, and support ways of working and behavior that are consistent with the organization’s values.
- Participate in and maintain a working group with other JCCSF department leaders, with the purpose of identifying strategic opportunities, sharing knowledge and solving problems.
External Partnership Building:
- Act as the primary ambassador for the JCCSF ECE program with potential ECE families, community partners, and colleagues.
- Represent the JCCSF at community ECE events and initiatives.
- Cultivate and manage a strong working relationship with other school communities and their admissions directors.
Relationship Building and Family Engagement:
- Support families broadly throughout their lifespan within the program including the kindergarten process, child development needs, and life cycle events.
- Be knowledgeable about JCCSF programs and offerings and build a customer service model that ensures that ECE staff actively and effectively stewards families through the array of JCCSF offerings. Ensure that ECE staff understand these expectations and have the necessary tools to be successful.
- Ensure that standards and expectations are in place to maintain an exceptional customer experience.
- Ensure that there is a culture of collaborative engagement with families where they feel heard and that their needs are understood, appropriately met, and acknowledged.
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience managing a multi-site ECE program and a large staff of ECE educators.
- Expert knowledge of early childhood educational philosophies including the Reggio Emilia approach.
- Knowledge of Jewish culture and tradition.
- Proven success supervising and developing staff.
- 24 ECE units including 6 administrative units.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience as an ECE teacher.
- Experience developing and managing a budget.
- Experience establishing meaningful relationships with local preschools, elementary schools and related community organizations.
- Excellent communication skills.
How To Apply
Click on the apply button below to be directed to the application: